Bigger Springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone ever seen or made a Schwinn springer fork larger than the 26" size? I have a 24" jumbo stingray with a 7" pedal crank instead of the usual 5 1/2". I'd like to add more clearance under the pedal and adding a springer meant for a 26" bike still doesn't bring it up as much as I would like.

thrdrl said:
Has anyone ever seen or made a Schwinn springer fork larger than the 26" size? I have a 24" jumbo stingray with a 7" pedal crank instead of the usual 5 1/2". I'd like to add more clearance under the pedal and adding a springer meant for a 26" bike still doesn't bring it up as much as I would like.

Many people have extended and widened Schwinn spring forks over the years. some aftermarket spring forks are easier to do than others. Look for a version that has the bottom fork tubes made with an area of straight tubing below the pivot bolt. then you cut the main fork tubes about four inches below the pivot bolt, then you insert a strong peice of tubing inside that fits snug, keep a few inches of this tube sticking out of the cut, weld this in at the cut, then weld on a tube extension on over top of this plug to the length you need, weld this extension right at the previous weld then grind it smooth. You will also need to make longer truss rods, or you can mount the original truss rods at a different position on the bottom fork tubes with welded-on tabs. A few people have done this. :D

Dorian

Back