Bighead Canal Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wasn't going to enter this contest so I could work on cargo bikes this summer. At least this is how I felt about it when I woke up this morning and up till I pulled into the parking lot where I met KOTA and Mrs. KOTA at the Cape Cod Canal Bike Path. I couldn't keep my eyes off of these things when I parked. There are hundreds of these things all along both sides of the canal. KOTA said it reminded him of China with all the work bikes on the roads.

CanalCruiser-01a.jpg

Nothing like the smell of Striped Bass first thing in the morning is what I say.

So with good dose of these bikes this morning and a boot from KOTA I have done the deed and entered this build off. :)

I have chosen my 62 Huffy for this build because it was what I was riding this morning. I swore I never was going to use this bike in a build off and just let it be, I lied.

62_Huffy-01.jpg
Graylock

YES :D Looks like I have another competitor :mrgreen: Good luck Graylock 8) I like the build already :mrgreen:

Ok Let's go!! I've only seen 2 Huffy's so far. Yours and mines. So let's represent for good old huffy. CUE THE CHEAP TRICK"I WANT YOU TO WANT ME" MUSIC. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN

Looks like you need a bigger and better fish basket than that guy has. I know you won't disappoint.

Graylock said:
Good question, I don't have an answer right now. It will be different, more of a pimped out Canal Cruiser I think.

GL

I think you answered the question, more styled, cool. I want to build a geared bike that is ultra utility, I keep getting baskets and panniers and the like and think instead of spreading them out, I'd rather just put them all on one bike, probably with an extended rear wheel (like the bike you did last year) and some type of extended front.

Yeah I did this the last time and there were several others much nicer. Mine I've towed other bikes with it and hauled two kids at the same time as well as taking movies off the back of it. I was going to dismantle it but found out it was really handy to have around.

GL

yoothgeye said:
Graylock said:
Good question, I don't have an answer right now. It will be different, more of a pimped out Canal Cruiser I think.

GL

I think you answered the question, more styled, cool. I want to build a geared bike that is ultra utility, I keep getting baskets and panniers and the like and think instead of spreading them out, I'd rather just put them all on one bike, probably with an extended rear wheel (like the bike you did last year) and some type of extended front.
I'm interested in building a utility bike too. I like the idea of using an internally geared hub with a coaster brake, and then setting it up with a disk brake on the front.

I think you have a great idea. I'll be watching to see how you progress.

It's interesting how other cultures around the world use bikes as a main form of transportation.
I keep thinking about the wildly garnished trucks in India where they combine utility and style.

I may be showing my ignorance again but what's a canal cruiser? We don't have canals in Mpls. Land 'O Lakes but no canals.

I like that Huffy! Cool chain ring.

Glad you decided to join the fray.

Good Luck.

Where I live we are separated by a canal with two bridges, one at Sagamore and another at Bourne. Also there is a train bridge that lowers for "the" train once in a while. These are the only way to get off Cape Cod and in the summer on Sunday it takes hours to get off Cape. So ...... this canal host all kinds of ships and barges to pass from Boston to Fall River along with smaller boats to go from Buzzards Bay to the Cape Cod Bay. Right now the Striped Bass are migrating to the north using the canal for passage. They are big headed lunkers and can be had by showing them your bait or facsimile.
These bikes are what the local fisherman use to go up and down the 8 mile long canal, both sides on bike paths. They are rat rodders and don't even know it.
So that's the history of those bikes and there are hundreds of them. This concludes our history class for today now go build a bike!

GL

What a great way to get around the eight mile canal!...WE were the only ones riding around without fishing poles. Every "Canal Cruiser" was different. KEEP watching. He revealed to me, what his twisted little mind has in store for this bike.
004-21.jpg

Back