Bike Belts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May be a fine bike, but they need a better way to sell it. The only feature they're touting is that it's pants-safe...and that's only because it's got a chain guard on it (or a belt guard in this case). So the newest carbon fiber innovation puts us back where we were in 1935, it seems. Is it lighter? They didn't say. Does it last longer? They didn't say. Is it easier to remove your rear wheel and put it back on? They didn't say. Is it more efficient? They didn't say.

The belt is a nice idea but probably wont go far. It will be smoother turning, and thus more efficient. It will also be whisper quiet, lol, a stealth bike. Single speed cruiser/commuter bikes yes, multi speed nope, they would need to use a multi speed hub. No hazard ? pants could still get caught in the nubs and then between the belt and cog. The belt will still attract dirt and road muck still lending itself to gettin yer pants leg a lil dirty.

I have heard of this before but my only question is won't the belt stretch out over time just like a belt on a car?

or what about when wet does it slip and even the biggest pile of belts has no scrap value

Yeah, im not totally sold on it either, but one thing is I don't think Kevlar will stretch. So I'm sure they will be pretty sturdy. That was the only thing I found interesteing about these belts is the fact that they are made from Kevlar.

I love it! Most of the kits I have seen run a a belt with teeth and gears with teeth as well.

The belts are suppose to last a real long time. But I'm sure climate has a part n the life of the belt.

Keep in mind that the frame has to be split to install the belt. I don't like the idea of cutting a frame and installing a coupler.

Oh yeah, and they make a multi-speed belt driven bike with a derailleur.

I cant really see them taking off until they can figure out how to make lighter multi speed hubs with more gears. That said, it would be pretty sweet to have a big old cruiser with a belt drive. :mrgreen:

Back