bike carriers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone use a platfotm type carrier and do u like it campared to a convebtional one?

What exactly are you talking about? haha

I haul my bikes many ways.

I keep this hitch haul on my Jeep all the time and either strap bikes on it standing up or lay them down if they aren't riders.
IMG_1292.jpg

My roof rack on my car has hauled more bike than I can count. Road bikes, cruisers, antiques, BMX, children's etc...
IMG_4915.jpg

I also use my trailer for bike loads:
IMG_4870.jpg

And more controlled loads:
SAM_0960.jpg

I just bought this swing out receiver hitch mounted 3 bike carrier for $37 this weekend.
rack.jpg

My wife's minivan has been know to haul some stuff as well:
haul4.jpg

I have also used trunk mount bike racks and other homemade contraptions.

yoot, how do you like the KIA minivan? I like those and have considered getting one.

Mine is a 2006, we bought it in 2007 used (2005 and older are timing belt engines, 2006 newer are timing chain). I forget how many miles it had on it, it was low, but we have put almost 100k on it with no major issues. I had the starter go out, but a local starter place fixed it for under $30, it's in a tight spot though. Right now my power steering pump makes a racket and I have an idler pulley making lots of noise (but no play), but I figure for this many miles it's doing great. Smooth and lots of power, and as you can see above, we put it through it's paces. We will drive this one till we can no longer and I'd get one again.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled post about "bike carriers."

We've got a tailgate carrier for the van. Fits up to four on there. Bit of a bench press getting a cruiser up there mind. But it's way better than the ones where you hang the bikes from the top tube. I was having to wrap bits in neoprene so they didn't rub in transit.

A9610117-0F00-4BDA-B586-8A09C26ABCA5-774-000002786EA6B5F8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have one of these too, only issue is they are made for a traditional diamond frame, forget about any tank bikes, my full sus 29er wont fit either, or the kids bikes. I do however like the swing out for our hatch backs. I plan on cutting off the factory clamshell set up and just making up a pair of bars that stick out like a trunk rack. I will use a heavy gage tube for the cross member and drill a couple of holes in it so I can adjust the width of the arms.

Roof racks are tough if your vehicle is tall for loading a heavy cruiser.

rack.jpg

im gettin a swagmanxc,thanks for the repiles,i now know morethan i ever wanted to abot a kia,ill stick with my 77 gmc

since I dont have a car, I hope to rig up a way to carry them on this bike trailer I'm building. I'm also still working on how to make the brakes for it work.

I've used both roof and hitch-mount carriers. Sometimes simultaneously.
P1012779.jpg

Mostly I just use the roof mount, though my Pugsley typically goes inside the car (simply doesn't fit on any carrier I have). My folks have a platform-type hitch mount carrier. Tires sit in a tray, and a hook clamps down on the top tube. First time out badly chaffed the paint on my dad's cruiser, so he took to putting foam padding on it for transporting.

I built a wooden platform that runs the length of my truck canopy and cab. It looks a bit "Beverly Hillbillies", but it's been the most practical roof rack I've ever owned. I can throw multiple bikes up there, a canoe, ladders, lumber, etc... and I don't ever have to worry about scratching or denting anything.

I even climb up on top sometimes and use it as a deck. I'll park it under fruit trees in the fall and climb on top to pick fruit instead of using a ladder.

Back