Bike coop/kitchen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Has anybody had experience with Community Bike kitchens, co-ops or shops. The first one is being started in Boise and I plan on trying to get involved. Looks like a fun time. The biggest deal is trying to find some money through grants to open up a formal space. Currently it is fairly informal - fixing donated bike to give to kids.

Any suggestions or pitfalls to avoid.

Can't help you Clancy, but I'm gonna eavesdrop on this conversation. Sounds interesting. I know that Detroit has one or two groups but it's too far and too scary to go down there.I would love to get involved in one around our area.

Chainsaw,
I am hoping somebody from Sacramento chimes in. They have a great one down there. I think it would be fun helping others to learn about bikes and how easy they are to work on. Plus the community service of helping get free bikes out to youngsters is a great cause. They group here received about 70 youth bikes from the Idaho Youth Ranch(like Goodwill) and will receive this on a regular basis instead of them ending up in the scrap yard.

the sacramento bike kitchen is rocking. I am actually working with them to help the kids in the housing projects where i live fix their bikes. The bike kitchen's website is sacbikekitchen.org if want to ask questions or what not, pm me. if i don't know i can find out. I don't think karfer is too hip to them since he works at one of the capitalist type bike shops-LOL. but mastershake is there a lot. it's mostly the bike messenger/critical mass/anarchist types at the kitchen. they were out in full force at the thanksgiving ride, with both the drum bike and the TWO KEG trike they have. They do a second saturday bike ride around sac while the 'art walk' goes on since they are actually an extension of the 'brickhouse' gallery too. It's an interesting crowd, some old friends and some new ones too. They get their bikes from the sac police dept, and sell them for a suggested donation of $5, so every kid can have a bike, they'll slide on the $5 if the needed. It's a great place and i hope yours does as well.

Back