BIKE FROM MOTORCYCLE FRAME

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have often thought that a Bike from a motorcycle frame would be cool. My friend made a Scooter from a motorcycle frame. But he was 350lbs.Does anyone have any pictures of someone who has made a bike from Motorcycle frame?

I would think it would be too heavy but.... http://boise.craigslist.org/bik/3142887245.html

5G45K35Jd3La3I83Jac7g8ebdff60c545134f.jpg

if he doesn't see this look up i think devin-science (i think that's his username). in i think his intro thread or one of his first in the gallery he showed a freeride bike made from a motorycle.

All bikes are built with a power source in mind, if you change the original power source from say "engine power" to leg power, your going to have a significant decrease in performance and enjoyment. It would be amusing to ride a pedal powered boat anchor, but the novelty would tend to wear off pretty quickly I think :wink: .

Dorian,
That statement may be true for you. But there are so many options and alternatives. I am talking frame not rear gear size. I was even thinking of changing the hub in center of it. make it a multi speed.
I saw a Bike some years ago that was made from a motorcycle chopper frame. The rear wheel on it was a slick (a racing tire) 15" wide. Front wheel was a Bike Tire. At first there is now way he could stop that thing and then he changed the hub to disc brakes inside the wheel. It was fantastic. With a Lot of air in the slick and an aluminum wheel. You could pedal this thing very easily. It was very light. That was never designed to be a bike. But then I have seen Fat Knobby tires on Motorcycle/bikes with same gears they are so difficult to get to move. More like on a difficult tred mill workout than a ride. All are Cool though. Just wanted to see if anyone took it to other levels on RatRodBIkes.
Thanks for the pictures SO-FAR

I just don't see the advantage when we are talking about a pedal powered bike, it may give a different look which is fine, but I think a bike built around a frame that has pedal power in mind makes better sense for roadability. I think thats why motorcycle frames are seldom used to make bicycles out of. To each his own I guess :wink: .

Dorian, I think youre taking it to literal. These bikes are made for the novelty of it. Half of the bikes on here are not practical to ride, but they are fun and thats what really counts.

LarzBahrs said:
Dorian, I think youre taking it to literal. These bikes are made for the novelty of it. Half of the bikes on here are not practical to ride, but they are fun and thats what really counts.

I just think that a good custom bike should have both looks and ridability, if we are talking art bikes, which is a category that many extreme lowriders also fit into then yes. I think most of the bike builds that we see on here are built with some degree of decent riding in mind. At that FBI show in Holland they have some pretty wild bikes that show up but they all seem to ride the distance pretty good, and that has got to come from designing it into the build. As a rider I think of practical for actual riding, I think a good custom bike should ride as good as it looks. if the intent was more "art" and experimentation than riding then I understand, but if that intent isn't clear then I tend to look at riding potential first. As art its very good to try, why not? I get it now.

Dorian

After spending an hour looking at all different areas of this Site. I see that over 50% of the posts on THIS section Rat Rod Bikes. Really are posting in the wrong area. Most of these stock bikes that people are posting about should be posting on Other Bikes (the basic stock stuff).
I also am on another Rat site and people think that just because they got a can of black primer and painted it that it is a rat, or just because it is old.
I love the custom/off the wall stuff that is out there and inspires me to build. Anyone can have a stock bike built from other stock parts.
Some of the build projects pictures are Great.

honestherman said:
After spending an hour looking at all different areas of this Site. I see that over 50% of the posts on THIS section Rat Rod Bikes. Really are posting in the wrong area. Most of these stock bikes that people are posting about should be posting on Other Bikes (the basic stock stuff).
I also am on another Rat site and people think that just because they got a can of black primer and painted it that it is a rat, or just because it is old.
I love the custom/off the wall stuff that is out there and inspires me to build. Anyone can have a stock bike built from other stock parts.
Some of the build projects pictures are Great.

and this is posted in the right area? :roll:

honestherman said:
I see that over 50% of the posts on THIS section Rat Rod Bikes. Really are posting in the wrong area. Most of these stock bikes that people are posting about should be posting on Other Bikes (the basic stock stuff).I also am on another Rat site and people think that just because they got a can of black primer and painted it that it is a rat, or just because it is old.

Forum Rules :wink: :wink:
5. No discussing the definition of the term "rat rod" or whether bikes meet "rat rod" criteria

I want to build a motorcycle from a bicycle I'm not talking about a 49cc I'm talking at least 125cc with a 5 speed gear box

I had a strange bike frame very heavy duty one time and we mounted a honda 360 2 cylinder motor on it. Clutch and throttle worked just like a motorcycle. It was so heavy with no suspension and top heavy. We almost killed ourselves trying to ride it on gravel roads because even though we lived in the country we wanted to avoid the police. One time we ripped up the rear spoked wheel and then after we fixed it, we laid it on the side at about 30 mph and messed it up. So it was retired.

SORRY MODERATOR.
I had noticed that there are areas for "this kind of bike" and there is another area for "other bikes" over there. I was just confused that they seem to be mixed together. But it is all Great I guess.
There are some very talented people here who make those "mouse bikes" from just about anything, Frame parts made from anything. There are some people who even put Motorcycle Forks on some of those bikes.
Thanks

Back