Bike lights/generator question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an idea for part of an upcoming build project that involves two headlights, and possibly a tail light. Ideally, I'd like to run them from a hub generator. However, it seems that any that I've seen provide enough current to light one 2.4W incandecent headlight bulb, and possibly a lower-wattage tail light. I have a couple issues with this. One, it isn't enough for my second lamp. Two, I don't want a dim tail light.

So, it seems like there are a couple options. I could run all the lights on batteries, but that defeats using a generator (and being battery-free). I run all the lights from a 6V flashlight battery or a multicell pack like RC cars use, but I think I'd only want that if the generator would be effective at recharging it, which I don't know about. Or, I could use LEDs to significantly reduce the amp draw, but I seem to be having difficulty finding 6V LEDs flashlight bulbs, or at least ones that have a wide enough light beam to actually make proper use of the headlight's reflector. Not much point in having a very narrow, undispersed beam. Either that or I find a suitable headlight that uses LEDs that are designed to run off of a generator.

What are other people doing about this? Can a generator that puts out 1/2 an amp at 6V keep a NiCAD or Li-Ion battery charged? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Maybe strip out the LED cluster from a cheap torch? The kind that take 3 AAA cells. 3 AAAs add up to 4.5V so that's less than your generator.

just thinking out loud, but has anyone ever tried using capacitors? somewhat like in the old ignition systems? not sure if it would werk or not, but maybe worth a try?

I was researching that today. My thought, though, was to find a capacitor suitable to continue to power the lights for a period of time after the hub generator stops turning. That way, the lights are one when waiting at a stop sign, etc. I've come to the conclusion that I can set up the lamps to run on LEDs, so there could/should be extra power available for some other use. I've heard about people using that for powering a smart phone, ipod, etc. But that's beside the point. I'm interested more in running lights, and I could potentially power a lot of LEDs with the output from a generator...

I was looking into something similar and my brother-in-law said he had used a dynamo to run LEDs with an old mobile phone (cell phone) battery inline which kept the lights on at traffic lights etc...I'm guessing Li-ion. I'll quiz him for details

wind up flashlights? take one apart and see what you can adapt?

Latest posts

Back