Bike Picking

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a little picking yesterday (kinda like American Pickers-only just me driving around looking for bieks for sale or disgarded,LOL),and brought these home:
Loaded:
003.jpg

70's Ladies Free Spirit 3 Speed for $20; Tires a bit dry-rotten,but otherwise clean,everything works like it should:
008.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

Looks like 80's or 90's Huffy little girl's bike (freebie from off a garbage pile with home owner's permission),good overall shape,chain's a bit rusty. I'll most likely replace the chain,clean and lube/adjust everything and either flip it for 20 bucks or if I see a need,donate it:
012.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

And from the same pile,this Huffy Sante Fe step-through frame (also had a very rusty wheelset and knobbie whiltewalls)-not sure what I'll do with it-a build maybe? I kinda like it as a lawn ornimate too,LOL! :p
016.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

My camera batts died before I got any pics of the little pink Trek girls bike (scored for $15). It's as ridable as the Free Spirit,but needs cosmetics (lotsa rust,on what was probably once chrome,LOL!).

Cool, I'd throw a set of junk rims on it and bury it up to the chainguard in the dirt, let it rust up a little more too. You just gave me an idea I'm going to build up a junk bike and concrete it into the ground behind my shed just over the axle bolts so junkers can't steal it. Then I can lock other bikes to it and use it as a bike rack.

outskirtscustoms said:
Cool, I'd throw a set of junk rims on it and bury it up to the chainguard in the dirt, let it rust up a little more too. You just gave me an idea I'm going to build up a junk bike and concrete it into the ground behind my shed just over the axle bolts so junkers can't steal it. Then I can lock other bikes to it and use it as a bike rack.

That's a pretty cool idea.

Thanks,guys! I'd like to find a matching men's version (no coasters though...I've lost a chain whilest going down a big hill before,LOL :shock: )...it's been a few years since I started wanting an old Raleigh 3 speed,and it just never works out (meaning...why do I always find nice ones going for reasonable prices when I'm flat broke,but only ones too highwhen I have a little budget? :p :lol: ),so maybe looking at similar to this one is what I'll do,hahaha! It's a nice old bike,if a bit steep in the gearing (in low,I have to stand and mash the pedas like a big gear,even on very slight grades...more-so than my 29"erSS :shock: Needs a bigger cog back thee,LOL!).

That Huffy actully came with a rusty pair of (it's original) wheels...I ma do just that,bury it hub deep. I'd want to find another to place opposite the steps from it though,as it looks a bit lop-sided as is (one bike on one side). Hub deep is about as deep as I could go anyways,the two plots there are sectioned to help keep weeds down and so one could plant flowers or veggies (previous owner's work) by plastic and kevlar cloth,LOL!

You know,the picking is always (at least) half the fu for me anyways :D

Back