Bike Stolen? Steal it Back!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great story! It is far better than my story, but here it is anyway.

I had a mountain bike stolen once. I was pretty young; maybe 13-14. I was out riding around looking for it. I thought maybe I would see someone riding it. I didn't really think I would, but to my surprise I saw someone riding my stolen bike. I didn't have a plan after that since I hadn't expected to actually find it so I just said "hey I think you're riding my bike." They said their brother had given it to them...I was on a bike at the time so they rode it back to a nearby house for me. After they had walked away I took it back home. I was pretty lucky. If they had argued at all they could have kept it. I was a fairly little guy at the time.
(under 100 pounds).

That's a great story.

I used to train with a guy who was pretty big for a bike racer. You wouldn't want to mess with him. And one day he was out training with a bunch of guys and saw someone riding his daughter's bike that had been stolen a few days before. He dropped out of the training ride, rode right up to the dude, said "that's mine", took it, and rode home with it, pushing it next to his bike that he was riding.

I bet that felt great getting her bike back. No matter if it's a $5 bike or a $5000 bike, it's still yours. I bet that felt good riding off with it haha :D .

I had one bike stolen right outside of the library. I was about 15 at the time. I hung out walking around thinking maybe I'd see it ditched in the bushes or an alley, right then I see a kid probably 16-17 riding right by me on my bike. I started to yell and soon as I got out "Hey..." he drops the bike and starts running, I knew. I picked up the bike and threw it at him hard as I could hitting him right square in the back and knocking him off his feet, after a good well deserved beat down I got on my bike and went around the block. Hanging back a little I tailed the kid home and watched him go inside. His dad was working on his truck out in the yard so I told him what really happened (evidently he told his dad he crashed his bike) and he got a second beat down from his dad right in the front yard for all to see and was made to apologize. His dad said this wasn't the first time he'd been caught stealing bikes and asked if I wanted to press charges...I figured the kid had enough for one day. :mrgreen:

My GF's brother had his bike stolen 2 months ago. I told him I'd keep my eye on CL for it (specialized sirrus... nice bike and pretty new). sure enough 2 days later I saw one on there. Called the guy, sounded shady. Said someone else was gonna come look at it before I got there. I offered $50 more than he was asking.

Called the police and got them to come up to his appt with us. We had the original receipt and serial and sure enough, it was his bike =).

The cops had us sign some paperwork then we were on our way with the bike in the car.
That felt pretty .... good. Not sure what ultimately ended up happening to the guy, but hopefully some justice.

I had a bike on my side yard that I was building for another kid in the neighborhood ( a big kid at that ) two days after it disappeared I see it whizzing down my street...I yelled ,he didn't stop, jumped in my Toyota with a bike in the rack and pursued, he turned down a alley with tall speed bumps ( they didn't slow me down) he drops the bike in a front yard and starts talking to this other kid at the house.... I pull up jump out and bump my head on the cruiser hanging off the bike rack to make matters worse, and had a few words with the yute, his excuse was his Grandma wouldn't let him buy a bike....gotta love that one, I took the bike ,told the kid who I was building the bike for and let him have a few encouraging words with the thief.

this a good reason for all of you to write down your serial numbers and have distinguishing marks in an inconspicuous place on the frame. Also file a report if your bike gets stolen.

The problem with the first story is that the person that had the bike could have been someone whom bought the bike not knowing it was stolen. So if you get in this situation, always ask how long have your had the bike? Who did you get it from?

abe lugo said:
this a good reason for all of you to write down your serial numbers and have distinguishing marks in an inconspicuous place on the frame. Also file a report if your bike gets stolen.

The problem with the first story is that the person that had the bike could have been someone whom bought the bike not knowing it was stolen. So if you get in this situation, always ask how long have your had the bike? Who did you get it from?

Very true, I have kept records on most the bikes I have had, sometimes it's funny because the same bike will come back again and again. I had a Schwinn predator that I owned as a kid that came back 4 times then I sold it to a guy who moved back to Chicago and I thought it was gone for good, Later in life I bought one restored and low and behold the numbers matched! I sold it again now I kinda miss it...If it comes back again I'll have to keep it. :mrgreen:

Back