Bike Storage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I shoulda put this in the Bike Collector Forum or not(because it goes hand in hand with bike collection / the accumulation of mass bike quantities), but how are you guys storing your bikes? I'm debating on hanging from the garage ceiling with hooks, or hanging from the garage wall with one hook. I'm concerned about long-term damage to the true-ness of the rims if I put all that weight on one rim(or even both). Thoughts?

I've wondered the same thing about warping the wheels by hanging them.

I'm pretty much forced to hang mine though....two hooks in the ceiling, one for each wheel.

i dont think it makes a difference, when you hang em, theres the weight of the bike on pullin on the wheel, which im just guessin everybody puts more weight pushin on the wheels when you sit on em, i never claimed to be a rocket scientist though :D

Probably depends on the bike. Expensive fast bike- no hanging from wheels, maybe frame. inexpensive, ratty cruisin bike- hang all you want.

If your wheels are tru and spokes are tight , you should be okay. I hang all I can. More space on the workshop floor.

I use buckle clamp straps that can be bought cheaply at walmart ect I use the regular bike hooks on the ceiling then hang the bike right side up from the handle bars and seat post it also allows you to lift the bike up easily to the ceiling you pull on one side of the strap and up it goes
I also use them to work on bicycles by my bench it allows me to raise and lower everything to a comfortable height
P4120014.jpg

P4120015.jpg

P4120016.jpg

the last house I lived had a garage and I could lift one bike and store another on floor below. I havent had time at this house to set it up yet in my basement storage room

Wow..very cool Hooch...you win the innovator of the day award.

Looks like I'll be investing in some of those straps!

it works great for me to work on bikes.... its not as steady as a stand but it really works good I have these hooks you see spread a little far but it helps steady the bike more than if they were directly over the post and stem

Hooch, thanks for reminding me. I have seen your photos with that technique before but just keep forgetting to get the straps.

Perhaps you could not only hang them by the frontwheel, but also have something supporting the rearwheel (some kind of shelve), than you're sure you're safe.

For working on a bike I use the same straps Hooch does, works fine.
Bicyclerepair-guys overhere use a similar system, often with compressed air, so they don't have to lift the bikes (and it's much quicker).

If you can hang them from the front of the frame, do that. Maybe take the front wheel off to get it to fit. They hang low then, but no worries about bends.

Back