BIKE TRAGEDY, pictures are in 8-13-11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Oh this really hurt today...

I was hauling bikes up to a small informal show just 10 miles up the highway this morning. I borrowed a friends small but heavy duty trailer for the job. Strapped and leaning on one side of the trailer I had a 50's ladies Columbia, the custom Elgin I built for my wife, a 53 Wester Flyer and my 36 Rollfast tanker. On the other side I had my (grandfathers) 1898 Dayton Model N tandem. The pedals sat right on the top edge of the sideboards and it was a perfect fit end to end. I used bungee cords and a strap to hold all of them against the sideboards.

Well the suspension on the trailer was very heavy duty so I went slow on the secondary roads to the highway. Once up to speed on the highway (and in light traffic) and at about the 2/3 point to my exit there was a bump or something, as I hit it I looked in my rearview mirror and watched the tandem jump up and roll over the side of the trailer. I think I had the brakes locked up before it hit the blacktop. The only luck thing is that it skidded to a stop on the shoulder instead of in a lane. All the vibration shifted the load so the ratchet strap had loosened up (both sides) and when the tandem went airborne the bungees just pulled it over the side.

Well, this bike only really needed a front tire to be a rider.

Now it has 2 bent right side crank arms. One of the original pedals is destroyed. The minty seats (updated in the late 40's) are ruined, rear handlebar is taco'd (1940's) and I've got a broken spoke or two on the rear wheel. There was a rim - handbrake installed in the 40's as well, it's a twisted pretzel now.

The rear single tube tire survived and there appears to be no frame damage or even a scratch on it but I'll be searching forever for a pair of crank arms. Both wheels still spin true.

I'm pretty much sick with despair...

Re: BIKE TRAGEDY

thanks for the well wishes, I'll get over it in time. All i really wanted to do with the bike was get it cleaned up, possibly ridable and hang it over the mantel.

The plus side of this is: It can be fixed & no one got hurt! Sorry for your misfortune!

Bummer. That blows. Like you said, it's a good thing it rolled on to the shoulder instead of in a lane. Remember what Nietzsche said..."that which does not kill you makes you stronger". Now you can fix it up and you have a lesson learned on hauling bikes*. Good luck with the repairs.

*Not trying to be a smart-a, despite how that looks.

No offsense taken at all B.D.S. Ther's a list of "should have's" running through my head. Nothing anybody could say will compare to how I'm beating myself up these days. :D

I ran into a friend of mine who borrowed the trailer last month for a trip to Maryland, they had to stop 4 & 5 times to tighten down the load of gear and bikes and camping stuff.

Now I'm kind of motivated to do 2 (more) things. Get the tandem up and going and build that utility trailer I've been putting off for so long..

I'll post up some photos of my needed bike parts in the not too distant future. thanks to those who have graciously offered to help me search out parts.

Walker said:
No offsense taken at all B.D.S. Ther's a list of "should have's" running through my head. Nothing anybody could say will compare to how I'm beating myself up these days. :D

Unfortunately, that doesn't fix anything, but yet I do that all the time also. And what's up with that trailer? Or did they use the same tie down strap that you used? Maybe the strap is busted.

They used their own straps, as did I.

The trailer must have a 2 ton axle in it and it's just a small thing. Perfect if I wanted to move 2 pallets of sac-crete, not so perfect for 200lbs of bicycles.

I've got that early Colson Tandem if there is anything on it you could use

I pulled it out of the shed today for some photos

081411030.jpg

081411017.jpg

081411018.jpg

081411019.jpg

This thing must fly with that huge sprocket..one day...
081411020.jpg

The rear pedals are period correct but dont match for some reason, I'd like to get 2 sets of pedals like this.
081411021.jpg

081411022.jpg

081411023.jpg

Fair ammount of rim rash on the rear hoop, one broken spoke
081411024.jpg

081411027.jpg

Front stem is bent, pretty sure it is non original like the bars.
081411026.jpg

No damage to the Corbin Duplex rear hub
081411028.jpg

Non orig rimbrake took a good hit
081411029.jpg

The story was sad when I read it, but the photos bring it home Original condition and vintage repairs (called "make-do" repairs in the antiques trade) are impossible to replace. My sympathy.
A great looking old tandem, it's still full of posibility, but I understand your loss.

I think the repairs you are seeing were done in the late 40's or early 50's when my mom and uncle started riding it (my mom is nearing 70 now). Could have been repairs or maybe just comfort upgrades or something. They used to tear around Providene RI with it, one day they were flying down a hill and couldn't stop at the intersection at the bottom, just blasted right through and cut off a car. The driver of the car was my grandfather (major uh oh). This prompted installation of the rim brake :D . Somewhere I have a photo of the two of them with it.

Good score today, swung into an antique shop (there were bikes on the lawn). Bought a Cleveland badged ladies bike (rusty) for short money. Best part is it has 28" singletubes and one is a match to my existing tire. the wheels are metal clad wood but the front is pretty bad shape. The donor bike has some nice goodies on it too, period handlebar I can use and possibly the fenders as well. Old ND Model D rear hub. There's a nice big red glass jewel reflector on it too, must be 1-1/4" diameter. The cranks/sprocket match a Westfield bike I just parted out.

Back