Bike Trailer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd share this. I bought a Harbor Freight trailer for 189$. Welded up some square tube on top, added 5 Swagman bike racks and now I have a bike trailer.
Trl020.jpg

Trl021.jpg

Trl022.jpg

Trl023.jpg

Man I could use that. Very nice.
I do wonder about the ride. How much it'll bounce around. I've heard others talk of letting most of the air out of the tires to keep the bikes from being/bounced/beaten.

I don't know anything about trailers so is there any restrictions? Obviously a weight but what about speed?

Please tell us how or if it rides on the highway. I am military and will be moving soon enough and this might be an inexpensive/safer way to move and keep a few bikes with me. Still it looks great and seems simple enough.

how wide is the trailer at the bottom? havent done any messuring, cause you just gave me the idea, but im wondering if 4-wide instead of 5 would fit in the bed of my flareside. its 4'wide by6'long with tailgate up.

Took the trailer to the beach today for the first time. So I'll try to answer everyone's questions. The trailer rides on the stiff side. I figured as much with the stiff springs that came with the trailer. It is rated at 1090 Lbs. The trailer is a 40 1/2" X 48" utility trailer with 12" wheels. With 5 bike racks on it the width is about 53". It is highway legal. I did put a longer tongue on it because the tongue it had was pretty short. I do plan on making a 4-link type suspension for it to give it a better ride sometime in the future. But it will do for now.

X-RAY said:
how wide is the trailer at the bottom? havent done any messuring, cause you just gave me the idea, but im wondering if 4-wide instead of 5 would fit in the bed of my flareside. its 4'wide by6'long with tailgate up.
Hi
I measured 53" from the outside of the fenders. My Electra in the middle is the longest bike right at 6'. Hope that helps.

aka_locojoe said:
Man I could use that. Very nice.
I do wonder about the ride. How much it'll bounce around. I've heard others talk of letting most of the air out of the tires to keep the bikes from being/bounced/beaten.

I don't know anything about trailers so is there any restrictions? Obviously a weight but what about speed?
The ride isn't too bad. It dose bounce more than i would like it to. We did drive about 65 miles to the beach and back. No damage to the bikes and most importantly they didn't fall off. The speed limit for autos with trailers is 55 mph here in California. I did have it up to 70 mph at one time to pass a semi. It did fine. Hope that helps.

Back