Bike trailer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Somehow I managed to fit this custom trailer build into my schedule. With any luck I wont be keeping it as I am making a trade for a pretty neat bike. Since you never know how a deal might go down I built it to keep (just in case).

started with this batch of Cannondale bike trailer parts

built a box from some 5/4 clear cedar

2 coats of stain

modified the rear axle to get the box to ride level

mounted it all together.

I cut off the factory trailer bracket and found a short piece of steel tubing that fit inside, drilled through both pieces and installed a quick release pin. welded the short piece to some angle iron so now the hitch bar can be quick disconnected from the trailer. bonus the bar fits into the trailer for tidy storage

Trailer is nice looks good behind the Coulson converted girls bike ? Show us more of that one.

Thanks guys.

yes, that was a girls colson, I kind of lost steam with that build. it was the "decoliner" build from a couple of years ago. Thinking of just selling it off actually

Headed to town this afternoon for the trade.

I was thinking it could use some fenders or a rail along the side for tying stuff down. I guess the guy just wants to haul groceries and his dog so I left the details up to him.

I kind of like it too, I'll have to keep my eyes open for another buggy to rebuild. I'm thinking a teardrop trailer with a hinged top would be cool for my family.

this one took maybe 10-12 hours total so not a terribly huge investment.

it actually mounts to the bike frame, if you check out the first photo, the black blocky thing at the end of the tow bar locks onto the seat/chain stays at the axle by way of a ratcheting knob. there's a flexy rubber part that handles articulation.

I ended up painting the tow bar and axle assembly dark brown before delivery.

I was hoping the corners would have come out better but my chop saw bit the dust this summer and I had to freestyle it with a skil saw. My 20yr old Makita was cutting just a hair shy of 45 degress so the corners ended up open a bit. In hindsight I suppose I could have shimmed the foot with some duct tape... I'm probably being overly critical... :D

Back