Bike UPS, who's going where/when/how often?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On a Suzuki 4x4 forum I was on for years and years they started a system called "ZUPS" (Zuki + UPS), basically if someone was traveling they would offer up any free space on a trailer/roof rack/trunk/bed/etc. to deliver Suzuki parts. It was very helpful if you found someone who drove a truck or regularly visited family somewhere, sometimes items would go through multiple ZUPS carriers to make the destination. You might have to wait longer, but the service was free and allowed you to rub elbows with other like minded enthusiasts.

Wondering if something like that could work here. Bikes and parts are normally smaller than truck parts, so I'd offer my services if traveling.

Works like this:

Hey, I'm traveling from Eastern Virginia to Atlanta, Georgia via these main highways ________ anyone need parts carried?

-or-

Anyone traveling through _______ I need something picked up there or dropped off.

I imagine that a lot of people go up and down I-95 here on the east coast for Summer vacations, and I'm just a few miles from the interstate and could hold items for people here just to be helpful, and once again, to meet other bike nuts.

There would be a lot of trust involved, but keeping the travel/delivery/pick-up plans out in the public forum keeps the accountability up.

I am travelling to Fort Colllins, CO next week by airplane, not sure if I can help.
However, since i have dealt with many folding bicycle, I have actually been in a city and found a great deal on a Dahon folder, and bought a cheap big suitcase at goodwill and brought the bike back as cheched luggate. I have actually done this 4 times!!!

By plane you could carry small parts for people, like a tandem frame. :shock:

My domain is the Interstate 95 corridor between NC and VA. Pretty regularly get to Rocky Mount, NC, and up to Colonial Heights/Richmond to visit my family. Wish I knew of some other rat rod bikers around here.

Ah, reminds me of pirate4x4 etc... I know what you mean :mrgreen: It could work if we have enough members traveling and swapping parts. It may require a separate forum in the sale section.

StreetCrwlr said:
Ah, reminds me of pirate4x4 etc... I know what you mean :mrgreen: It could work if we have enough members traveling and swapping parts. It may require a separate forum in the sale section.

Yeah, a "child" forum would be great for that. Pirate4x4, not the most friendly place, but lots of good information there. I'm too old for flame wars, I just like getting along.

I think that it could work, but would be difficult. For instance, let's say you are traveling from eastern NC to knoxville tennessee. You would have to hope that the part needing to be picked up as well as the person you are delivering it to both exist along that route. Now, like you had said, if someone were a truck driver or similar and making tons of runs to several places then it might work. But then the driver also risks not finishing his runs on time for his actual job.

ozzmonaut said:
I think that it could work, but would be difficult. For instance, let's say you are traveling from eastern NC to knoxville tennessee. You would have to hope that the part needing to be picked up as well as the person you are delivering it to both exist along that route. Now, like you had said, if someone were a truck driver or similar and making tons of runs to several places then it might work. But then the driver also risks not finishing his runs on time for his actual job.

It wouldn't be the only way we shipped things, but an alternative source for people willing to work on the system, wait a little, and enjoy the ride.

Back