Bikes I bought today

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they're both girls bikes,not quite what the guy told me they were, so I'm open to parting them out..Take a look and PM me if you want something. Both 26 in. ballooners.

J.C. Higgins..Has tank, truss rod fork, Delta "winner" fender light w/ lens, nice rear rack, and the funkiest chain guard I've ever seen. I assume the 1/2 in. pitch sprockets are replacements. Serial # on left rear dropout. New Departure Model D and W hubs. Somebody had fun with spray cans with this one.

010jg.jpg

009du.jpg

016mpy.jpg

What LOOKS like a Schwinn. Paint looks like a Schwinn, wheels look Schwinn, sprocket looks Schwinn, chaingaurd looks Schwinn, but headbadge says "Union Supply Co. UNION JACK Toledo Ohio". Bike looks original and is rideable. New Departure D rear hub, looks like Schwinn front

017hw.jpg

013bh.jpg

011fy.jpg

The JCH was made by Chain Bike Co. (Ross), the sprocket is a giveaway. Not sure about that guard, could be og though. The Union Jack is definitely Schwinn built. They sold a lot of bikes with store brands thru the 40s, so Union Supply was probably a hardware store or something. Cool finds! -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
The JCH was made by Chain Bike Co. (Ross), the sprocket is a giveaway. Not sure about that guard, could be og though. The Union Jack is definitely Schwinn built. They sold a lot of bikes with store brands thru the 40s, so Union Supply was probably a hardware store or something. Cool finds! -Adam

The chain guard looks like somebody on a bad acid trip designed it, either that or it was purposely bent into that shape. Either way, drugs had to be involved.

Yeah, from what I googled, Union Supply was a Toledo hardware store.

I went and looked at these bikes expecting to find at least ONE boys bike, but the "boys" bike turned out to be a girls middleweight Evans, and since I'm up to my armpits in girls bikes as it is, I passed on it. I'd like to flip these two pictured above, and hopefully make a few bucks for my trouble.

Compare it to my Goodrich bike...
huffyventurethreespeed012.jpg

huffyventurethreespeed011.jpg

huffyventurethreespeed013.jpg

I have had this bike in my collection for quite some time. It had a flat tire on the rear when I got it and I parked it in the garage with a couple dozen other bikes. Yesterday I put a new tube in the tire and rode it for the first time. It rides well.The rear tire has obviously been changed on mine as has the seat.I would like to find a tire that matches the front and a blue and white seat to put on it.

roadmaster said:
cool finds! id say that jc higgins is so funky, that its cool. and that chainguard is funkier that a hand full of wet foodstamps. :lol: lovin it!

The Higgins is so ugly it's cool, or maybe it's just really ugly. Either way, I really have no use for it, in fact I would never have gone and bought it had not the seller told me he had "at least one old boys tank bike", which of course turned out not to be so.

I'm going to tear both the Higgins and the Schwinn bikes apart this weekend, and post individual parts and prices here. Right off the bat, I'm thinking there might be interest in the Higgins Delta light, truss rod fork, maybe the tank, the rear rack, and maybe the wheels, or just the hubs.

The Schwinn, I'm thinking the nice balloon fenders, chainguard, skip tooth sprocket and chain, the wheels or hubs, and the Union Jack brass head badge.

Anyway, once I get them apart, I'll post in the For Sale section.

thom said:
Compare it to my Goodrich bike...
huffyventurethreespeed012.jpg

huffyventurethreespeed011.jpg

huffyventurethreespeed013.jpg

I have had this bike in my collection for quite some time. It had a flat tire on the rear when I got it and I parked it in the garage with a couple dozen other bikes. Yesterday I put a new tube in the tire and rode it for the first time. It rides well.The rear tire has obviously been changed on mine as has the seat.I would like to find a tire that matches the front and a blue and white seat to put on it.

I'll sell you the blue and white seat off that Schwinn for $10+ shipping.

Back