black hawk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything about a black hawk bicycle???please give me your input...or any info you know about these bikes....thanks

Elgin Blackhawk? It's an old prewar motorbike made around 1934-36. Very heavy duty looking. Boxy tank. Twin Bar frame. Very pricey for an original complete bike. B607

Here is a picture of mine. Missing lots of parts. I have also included pictures of complete bikes. The bikes were made by Columbia if I remember correctly so, they were sold as other brands as well. Very pricey for a good one. A tank will set you back between $300 and $700. There are subtle differences between years and brands. Mine appears to be a first year Elgin, judging by the fork. The tanks have subtle differences in shape depending on brand.
Picture145.jpg

elginBH-1.jpg

bike622b2.jpg

Elginatsaline.jpg

1934Columbiapg12-13.jpg

1936RollfastCat1.jpg

Hi,

Good information and a nice array of photos. I have one correction though, the last ad depicts a Snyder built Rollfast, not a Westfield bike. Some Snyder built bikes look similar to Westfield built bikes they were made by two different companies and one of the differences is the tank. All of the Westfield tanks used on their brands including Columbia and the Elgin Blackhawks and Falcons supplied to Sears use the tank with the round nose. The square nose tank was used exclusively by Snyder and used on the several brands they produced for including Rollfast and the line of Montgomery Ward Hawthorne Speedlines which were contemporaries to the Elgin Blackhawks.

I’ll add that both of the companies produced several different frames that were designed to use their in house tank, The Rugby Streamline that I posted in the winter weather bike thread is an example of a Westfield built bike and tank on one of their less common frames.

Phil

Back