Black No.1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I knew my neighbors were looking for an old girls bike. I bought this mostly for the headlight , generator and 3 speed hub. I told them they could have the frame if they wanted to fix it. The wives talked and somehow I was volunteered to fix it up, and I will get reimbursed for the parts. Anyway, since I am basically doing it for free, I am going to have fun with it and try some things I haven't done before. So, here it is so far. I am only 1/4 of the way done with the gold designs.

I may change the name if I come up with anything better. Black No.1 is a song by Type o Negative and kind-of fits the bike.

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

Re: Build for the neighbor

I found a similar bike with a three speed coasterbrake.
Is that german ?
The rear-fender used to be laced with rope,that is what the holes are for,
i saw that in Belgium but forgot to take some pics,and now i can not find out how to do it :(
Anyway,like these bikes. :D

Thanks!

I have one rim completely painted now, and am half way done with the second. The first half of the first wheel I did all freehand with a really crappy paint brush. I was somewhat satisfied with the outcome. It was also very slow going trying to make everything similar enough. So I bent some spokes to match the sketch I had done. Then I "stamped" a basic shape onto the rims. After that, I went back with the round end of a spoke and completed the curves where the stamp missed. Then I touched them up with the smaller details with the other end of a spoke. This is still experimental for me. I am going to sharpen the straight end of the spoke down to a smaller round end. I think that will get me more what I am looking for. The "stamp" made the lines a little thicker than I wanted, but saved me hours of time.

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

I just got both wheels laced up tonight. I thought it would take me longer. Sitting in my living room, the gold doesn't really show. Hopefuly it will show better outside. I hope to get the fenders and the frame painted up tomorrow. Then it is just a few steps away. A few mods to the fender braces, a seat cover and then it is pretty much just reassembly. :D

Here are are couple progress pics, I got it rideable today. I still have to mount the fenders , do a little more painting on the frame, and make the new seat cover. I want to make truss rods for it. We kind-of set a budget for the bike. I am right at the $60 mark right now. If the neighbors are okay with another $10 or so, I will make some truss rods.

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

I hope that cloth hanging over the seat is what you'll use for the cover!!! That will go soooo well with the gold details! Oh I like this bike! :D

Galtbacken said:
I hope that cloth hanging over the seat is what you'll use for the cover!!!

Like that? I might put a few more rivets in, but I think it matches the bike okay. I wanted a darker patterned cover, my neighbor wanted plain white to match the tires. :( So we went with something in between. I've got to grease the pedals, they sounded a little dry. The bike originally had 28" wheels. I put 26"wheels on. I stretched the fenders out by hand to make them wider and have a smaller radius to fit the 26" wheels better. I also had to lower the fenders to make things look right. You can kind-of see what I did to lower them if you look at where the fender bolts to the frame up towards the seat. I cut two 1 " pieces of an old aluminum pushrod from a VW to make spacers and slipped a longer bolt through the middle.

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

Man,that's looking killer nice!!! Thanks for the tips on paint design :)

is that a spoke lock in the back?
i build up an old german ladies bike that had one also.

defers thieves, but will destroy your rear wheel.

Back