Black phantom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Im in the works of getting a black phnatom for a grand, all original and perfect and chrome. the guy said his is the one wih no locking fork, did they have those or is he pulling my leg?

In 55 Schwinn changed the design of their springer fork, no lockers from then on. Phantom was produced from 49 to 59 so they would be available w/both types. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!! 8)

Only you can answer that one my brother :wink:

Good Point right there ^

MYSELF:Without seeing the bike and not knowing if its all original...I'd hit him low.

Slap him in the face with about a coupla hun' to start.(you can always go up if ya want to)

Act like you dont really want it.

Never pay the asking price...everything is negoticiable.

My MOM taught me some of those and more haggling tricks.She was the Best.

...oh yeah.Ask him if he wants to die with it.

(because he's asking too much for it and nobody wants it,including his family)

here's my 55

IMG_6696.jpg

I have a springer on a 1950 Ladies that is not locking. It has the pivot point behind the center of the steer tube.

CMAN,A good local locksmith will be able to key that fork.

I had mine done back in the day.

As I undestand it there are three Black Phantoms, correct me if I'm wrong.

1) The first (original and best); The Black Phantom which ran from 1949 - 1951/2 ish. It said 'Black Phantom' on the chain guard.
2) After which they produced a range of three Phantoms in Red, Green and Black - but this wasn't a Black Phantom but a black Phantom. A Phantom which happened to be black. It said only 'Phantom' on the chain guard. 1953 ish onwards .....
3) The Schwinn Centenary Anniversary reproduction of 1996 (an example of which is in my very proud possession and looks like this: http://www.cyclorama.net/blog/ramblings ... k-phantom/

Which retailed - or hoped to retail at around $3000 but which are occassionally available - still boxed - for around $1200.

MagicRat said:
Good Point right there ^

MYSELF:Without seeing the bike and not knowing if its all original...I'd hit him low.

Slap him in the face with about a coupla hun' to start.(you can always go up if ya want to)

Act like you dont really want it.

Never pay the asking price...everything is negoticiable.

My MOM taught me some of those and more haggling tricks.She was the Best.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/bik/2428412752.html
This is the posting. I talked him down to $1000

Great looking bike. As a rule, I don't pay that much for bikes, HOWEVER, if it's all original/original nice paint, and it's located on the east coast (higher prices) I think that's a good price.

It is a nice example of a last year Phantom. As you may or may not have noticed, at this point the Phantom was not quite as deluxe as it had started out. Clover leaf chain ring, lower end pedals, six hole rack w/no taillight, and a vinyl covered seat, earlier ones were leather and had nickle embelishments. Not a terrible price as it appears to be mostly original. Tires would have been Schwinn Typhoon cord white walls, Carlisles are a def replacement.Hopefully the horn works, as they are pricey for originals! I would expect to get 1 large for it if it were mine. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!

Slick Rick said:
It is a nice example of a last year Phantom. As you may or may not have noticed, at this point the Phantom was not quite as deluxe as it had started out. Clover leaf chain ring, lower end pedals, six hole rack w/no taillight, and a vinyl covered seat, earlier ones were leather and had nickle embelishments. Not a terrible price as it appears to be mostly original. Tires would have been Schwinn Typhoon cord white walls, Carlisles are a def replacement.Hopefully the horn works, as they are pricey for originals! I would expect to get 1 large for it if it were mine. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!
Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:

Back