Black Sunshine '62 Typhoon on the road again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my "Black Sunshine" build from back in early spring. Since that time I moved half-way across the country. Our new place does not have room for a work shop like the other house did and I have not done any real bike work since early May. Anyway, right after we moved I borrowed the wheels from my Typhoon in order to get my wife's Skyrider in safer operating condition. Since that time, my Typhoon has been sitting in a closet waiting for some wheels. I had a set of crusty wheels from my dad's '80s Schwinn cruiser and I decided it was time to finally refurbish them and get my Typhoon rideable again.

I'll post pics starting with what the bike looked the day I picked it up in Chicago, followed by what it looked like before the complete teardown, then "finished", and last with the new wheels.

What was the previous owner thinking?
101_9055.jpg

Here's how it looked after I tore bunch of stuff off of it and added WW and the springer.
schwinn_62_typhoon_springer_a.jpg

This was the finished bike before I stole the wheels.
schwinn_62_typhoon_black_a.jpg

And the current configuration...
100_1888_dd556.JPG

Do_Not_Open___Missy_059_5adef.JPG

Do_Not_Open___Missy_061_09730.JPG

Do_Not_Open___Missy_065_fff32.JPG

VERY nice!
I likd the first configuration w/ the WWs, but the final version is awesome!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I need to find a better seat. I'd also like to get a black springer, preferably an older original Schwinn that I can repaint. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. Night and day difference compared to what it looked like when I first brought it home. :shock:

Would like to see how WW would look on the current configuration. Other than that, it look awesome as it is now.

Back