Blue Max (tank & chain)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw the old movie The Blue Max about a month ago with George Peppard and Ursula Andress. Good movie. But when I was a kid one of my favorite Top Fuel funny cars was the Blue Max driven by Raymond Beadle. You obviously like racing so I'm taking it you are going more for the Racing theme with this build than the movie theme? (Even though they really go hand in hand) We lost Raymond Beadle about a year and a half ago, at 70, way too young, I believe he would approve of this build. Good luck.

I got to do a little bit of work on the bike during my busy work week. I took TRM's suggestion and got a piece of hose for the motor mounts. I knew it would raise the engine a bit and as you can see that plug wire fits pretty snug. I also got the seat post re-bent to a 90* angle and mounted the seat. My next major issue will be sourcing the material for my fuel cell.
DSCN2047.jpg

DSCN2048.jpg

DSCN2045.jpg

DSCN2044.jpg

DSCN2046.jpg

I wonder if you can find a shorty plug...
Auto parts store ought to be able to cross reference one.
It's be a shame to dimple the frame, but that rub will lead to a failure.

Carl.

You could also turn the cylinder cap half around so the plugs coming out to the front.
That is the solution. I believe it can be turned either way. Here's mine:
100_9180_zps4gnhaca7.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, rubber mount these engines. All the vibration these chinese motors make tend to loosen up the cheap bolts non stop. And, if you haven't done so already, change EVERY bolt that came on this motor with high quality ones. I think china used the cheapest metal known to man when casting these bolts and they tend to strip out at the most inopportune time.
The stock CDIs ain't all that high quality either, I've discovered.

I wonder if you can find a shorty plug...
Auto parts store ought to be able to cross reference one.
It's be a shame to dimple the frame, but that rub will lead to a failure.

Carl.
I talked to my brother (small engine mechanic) and he cross referenced a short plug...
NGK, BPM7A. I got a couple on the way!:thumbsup:

I'll have to remember all of this the next time I do a motor build.

I talked to my brother (small engine mechanic) and he cross referenced a short plug...
NGK, BPM7A. I got a couple on the way!:thumbsup:
Shorty plug installed, problem solved. Time to move to the next phase.
DSCN2053.jpg

It has been hard getting time to work on the bike. Work has been busy and this past Saturday I was at an all day concert. I managed to get all of the pieces gathered to start building my tank. The fuel spout and the bung will be cut off the supplied tank that came with the kit. Doing the math I will yield just over 3/4's of a gallon with my tank vs. 1/2 gallon stock tank. I went to a pipe supply company to get a piece of 1-3/4X3 inch pipe and they cut it for me and put a 45* cut on it as well. Price? NO CHARGE!
Second picture: My parts gathered. I cut out the tank ends with my jigsaw and firing up the Dremel to do some cutting and shaping.
20160516_145327_1.jpeg

DSCN2079.jpg

OH, Man! What a busy past few weeks. My job and upcoming wedding have been utilizing all of my time and being just to darn tired to work on the bike. It's a motivation zapper!
I have got all of my tank parts cut out except for my mounting brackets and that is just a 5 minute job to make those. I hope to have it all welded together by the end of the week. It's a good idea to put the petcock in the bung and mark it so you'll know the correct position it needs to be in before you weld it in place.
I have both chains hung and I thought it would be a good idea to use banjo bolts on the rear axle. Those will be here Friday. Then I can break chain. If I have to use a half link I rather use that on the pedal side. I think I may have to heat up and crimp the bottom chain stay to make sure my drive chain doesn't rub.
DSCN2087_1.jpg

DSCN2082.jpg

DSCN2083.jpg

DSCN2084.jpg

DSCN2086_1.jpg

One precise ball peen wack and that no problemo...

Carl.

Carl's right, but with one added element....

Mark the location with tape, then disassemble. Instead of a bare hammer blow to the chainstay, use a piece of solid round metal, say an inch or so in diameter, to make the indention. Place the round stock against the chainstay, in the same direction as the chain travels, then give it a good strike. The round stock provides a more subtle indention, and the tape lessens the severity of the blow on the surface finish.

Old hot rodder's trick for clearancing headers....

Back