Blue Meanie Mod's

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the Spring , came out looking great! had to do some extensive welding around the top section to be sure its gonna hold up. Once again could only weld 1 cm then quickly cool the whole thing, theres a plastic button right in the middle there and i had to do some modifications to the trigger mechanisim itself, so I dont want any heat transfer through the metal towards that plastic area and the seals within the top part of the adjustable internals!
Tomorrow i'll start on the opposing ends,
spring part a 2 pics.png

Last edited:
Im with you on hoping it works 😂😂
There's a pivot on each end of the spring and the single mtb pivot joint on the bottom tube.
Fingers crossed 😎

Chop a rooney time! the entire assembly is 540mm so it takes a fair chunk out of the frame! you can see ive roped the wheel to the bottom tube so the bike wont fold in half while in this state. but here you get a real good idea on how this is going to look!
PXL_20230622_014128989.jpg

here ive placed the spring in its postition and are about to tac the bottom end in! you cab see how the top begins to swivel down, after this i'll join the top!
PXL_20230622_014923856.jpg

Turned out Great! It wasnt all plain sailing, I had to make a locking mechanisim of some sort, what was happening was the spring wasnt strong enough at the top of its extension!, it had too much fluff and sponge and was quite difficult to ride, there was no sideways movement but lots of up and down as I pedalled.The lock is a simple swivel latch, im gonna make a trigger off an old brake lever and run it off the bars some place but for now im just using my hand! it works well and prevents the frame from travelling at the first inch or 2 of the springs movement.
PXL_20230623_061100338.jpg

From the top it looks the goods, dosnt look too out of place. I also attached the gear selector to the springs outer tube, its always gonna be an option to have gears so I may as well chuck it on and finish it. ended up welding it on LOL
PXL_20230623_061156768.jpg

So from the side it looks sort of not too out of the ordinary!.... But when you lift that black lever on the top tube something happens... something wild, something ive not seen yet.....something....????
Well I love it and Im absolutely gobsmacked at how close this came to the vision in my head!
PXL_20230622_034706246.jpg

As required it now drops right down till the front sprocket hits the ground! in this guise its just super cool n sick to look at! if this isnt a rat rodded bike now.... it never will be!
PXL_20230623_055837467.jpg

Oh My... just look at this thing!
PXL_20230623_060130377.jpg

I dont care what anyone says, ive taken my bike from 1000% coolness to a handsome 2000%
PXL_20230623_055920171.jpg

Even with the dreaded reversed tyre direction , from this angle this bike just screams maximum badness!
PXL_20230623_060004967.jpg

this a quick vid on the lift! Im loving the way it go's from a crashed and bent looking wreck and in just 2 seconds..."Whallah" we have an awesome looking bike again... and YES, it was difficult to ride on the yard grass!
After this its gonna be a rest for Blue Meanie, ive got another couple projects to do... I even have another pal who wants me to build him a drift trike! thats gonna take a couple months or so then i'll order that shiny new rear rim and finish the rear end of this bike! ... But I suppose the bathroom should be done (just add tiles) and the ensuite too in the main bedroom, theres a ton of yard work with trees as well so I better get cracking!

this a quick vid on the lift! Im loving the way it go's from a crashed and bent looking wreck and in just 2 seconds..."Whallah" we have an awesome looking bike again... and YES, it was difficult to ride on the yard grass!
After this its gonna be a rest for Blue Meanie, ive got another couple projects to do... I even have another pal who wants me to build him a drift trike! thats gonna take a couple months or so then i'll order that shiny new rear rim and finish the rear end of this bike! ... But I suppose the bathroom should be done (just add tiles) and the ensuite too in the main bedroom, theres a ton of yard work with trees as well so I better get cracking!
View attachment 238016
Mad scientist

Back to the Blue Meanie for the weekend, Trying to work out this remote latch device so I can un-hook the frame to Lower the bike when Parking up.
As usual ive just gone gun ho and made the thing before actually thinking about the mechanics of a remote trigger. Im now forced to work around the stuff ive made and its really bugging me... But ive progressed!
I found a piece of scrap with holes pre-drilled, so it became the new leverage arm for the latch. just cut to shape n length and welded where I thought would be the best place for a straight line pull from the cable to the arm itself. so the idea here is I pull the trigger on the bars and the cable runs from under the bottom tube to the new arm ive made, so I pull the lever and it release's the latch, I need a spring mechanisim to pull it back when I release the lever, Because its heavy duty and supports the frame in transit it needs a strong spring! the whole arm and latch now spin on the 12mm bolt with washers and a nylock nut.
PXL_20230715_043845785.jpg

From the side I made sure to stay withing the profile of the front forks, dont really want to pick anything up with a steel arm sticking out if I bike too close to some one or thing!

PXL_20230715_044040475.jpg
The lever its self became a drama, I have extended these bars so now I can only fit the extra lever around the larger bar diameter,
so what I did was because this trigger isnt a braking lever its never goning to recieve the same pressure as the front or rear brakes, I cut the mounting tube on the lever so it now became two parts, got a longer bolt from a brake and used that, this allowed me to place the lever over the larger part of the bar and still holds securley enough to activate the latch. like I said its not strong enough for a brake system but its fit for purpose.
PXL_20230715_043719676.jpg

To get the right position is important here because under no circumstance's can I accidentally hit the release lever on the latch while im underway. the thing wont fold completely and hit the ground but it will go super spongy real quick, like instantly and at speed that can have disaterous results!
So I have to mount it in a place where it looks ok and not too bulky but wont get in the way under normal or even emergency braking!
I managed to sit above the rear brake lever and a wee bit further in, this keeps it just out of reach far enough that you actually have to reach upwards to activate it! the brake lever itself is in the always preferred place!, its the latch lever that has to be up and out of the way!
Im painting the bars soon but it'll be a waste unless I can get this sorted first!
not sure but I may wet n dry then polish the alloy latch lever and rub the rear brake back and paint it red.... just for a wee bit of contrast! Grips are Blue!
PXL_20230715_043759583.jpg

The Blue Meanie was cool before you reworked it. Now it's getting icy! I love your home spun lowering device. Very clever and a cool kustom touch I've never seen on a bicycle before. Sweet!

While xmas shopping for the wife I found myself at the motorcycle shop 😂😂 I spied this Pirelli brand newie on the bargain pile, @$50 its an absolute steal, too bad its gonna go on a pushy, its the exact same dimensions as the car tire on the project chopper,
So needless to say it will be a swap, I better get the direction right this time 😂😂😂

And I have absolutely no idea why the pic worked this time round!
IMG_0016.jpeg

While xmas shopping for the wife I found myself at the motorcycle shop 😂😂 I spied this Pirelli brand newie on the bargain pile, @$50 its an absolute steal, too bad its gonna go on a pushy, its the exact same dimensions as the car tire on the project chopper,
So needless to say it will be a swap, I better get the direction right this time 😂😂😂

And I have absolutely no idea why the pic worked this time round!
View attachment 254570
What a steal. Great tire

That’s like 80% off!

Maybe the date code will tell why? Could be too stale to run 200 kph safely.

I have a brand new Metzler 185-50x16 that I bought in 2010 and it just sits in my garage. Probably fit it to an an electric bike someday.

That’s like 80% off!

Maybe the date code will tell why? Could be too stale to run 200 kph safely.

I have a brand new Metzler 185-50x16 that I bought in 2010 and it just sits in my garage. Probably fit it to an an electric bike someday.
I think so too, possibly out of date, maybe they had a bad rap, and didnt sell... this tire will transform the bike yet again, the biggest problem is the profile of the car tire, you actually use quite a bit of energy trying to keep the thing straight due to slanting road profiles, you ended up riding on an angle until the road flattened out....this motorcycle tire will fix that!

NEWS FLASH!!! The tire fit and sat on the bead ok but it wouldn’t hold air, the technician said its a different shaped bead on motorcycle tires than a car, rekons only slightly but this the result, I happily paid them the $20 for their troubles, left that car tire with them and got them to take the motorcycle tire off again,
So now im stuck with my pride n joy now sitting idle awaiting an entirely new wheel and rear assembly,
Out of interest you can see how dirty the new tires become with the amount of drama they had, they did give it a good try, luckily they wernt busy but yet another lesson in the “SOK” bike building journey 😎
IMG_0032.jpeg

Back