BMX cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16414878799276360611670480098645.jpg

Attachments

• 16414879670106953476981712023700.jpg
    16414879670106953476981712023700.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 37
I had a few frames like that with the little gussets on the head tube. One was a Hanter the other a cheap cruiser I picked up for free. Both were cheap Chinese frames. Frame was probably used by multiple companies.

What Chuy said. There were a few Taiwan brands that featured the gussets early on, it may be where they originated...but, I haven't been able to find the threads where it was discussed.

I don't recall any chromoly versions of these frames existing.

Last edited:
What Chuy said. There were a few Taiwan brands that featured the gussets early on, it may be where they originated...but, I haven't been able to find the threads where it was discussed.

I don't recall any chromoly versions of these frames existing.
Yeah it's super light weight that's why I think it's crumbly. Do you know of any websites that mite have some picks of cruiser frames like this

Well...I know there was a thread somewhere that had a discussion about the gussetted cantilever frames with some pics...but, I can't find it. Don't even know for sure if it was on RRB...may have been BMXMuseum or theCABE. :blush:

It's not easy to search for because of the common terms. I think the earliest example that was found was either a TBS or TBC (Taiwan Bicycle Shop and Taiwan Bicycle Co or Corp)...but those were small brands so not great for searching either. I have a frame in my dungeon, somewhere, with the gussets...I believe it was actually a foreign made Huffy.

Chromoly cantilever frames do exist, but they are few and far between...most being made in the late 90s/early 00s as mountain cruisers. CCM, KHS... I've been told Centrix, but I've only found mild steel versions. I ran across a FILA branded one but no idea who made it.

Chromoly cantilever frames do exist, but they are few and far between...most being made in the late 90s/early 00s as mountain cruisers. CCM, KHS...
retrotec-classic-hero.jpg

Curtis Inglis still makes them at Retrotec.

I'm sure Steve Garro at Coconino would fab one up for anyone interested as well.

@MattiThundrrr , neither of those ...the thread I'm thinking of predates both of those. The sprocket on the white Hanter in the second thread was a reoccurring theme on many of the bikes that had those gussets, as well as many that didn't. LW, Earth Cruisers, etc...it shows up often on strandie/BMX cruisers from the early '80s to mid 90s which has led me to wonder how many of those frames were sourced from the same factory...or, just the accessories were sourced from the same place.

Back