Board Tracker, Imitation 1910 HD, TANK INSTALLED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My latest build has been in the planning stages in my drawing pad for quite some time, now. I decided it was time to go ahead, and try to make it a reality. like all my builds, I'm not sure it will end up exactly as planned (usually, my skill level causes it to fall a bit short of from what I intend), but sooner or later, you gotta try.

My inspiration is a poster in my shop of a 1910 Harley Davidson. I'm not going for an exact replica, but more a general feeling that this bike could be from 1910. Also, this won't be motorized, but I do have some ideas on a simulated motor. Sadly, I recently found an old Gaskill build that used almost the same method as I had in mind, but I'll go forward as planned, simply knowing that there are no true original ideas anymore, even if you think you've got one. :?

I started with two mountain bike frames, which cost me a combined $10.
IMG_1157.jpg

Next I chopped them up, and laid them out in the general arrangement.
IMG_1158.jpg

Then I started welding.
IMG_1159.jpg

The way I put the two frames together, I know that I'm going to have to make the front forks longer by 5 3/4", but I plan on making a springer, so it shouldn't be a problem. With that in mind, as I assembled it, I welded on some temporary extensions on the forks, just to get the right height.
IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

The work will continue!

Re: Board Tracker, Imitation 1910 Harley Davidson

Dude that screams motor you got motorize it it's to perfect not too

I like what you did with the 2 frames! Nice, and yes, put a motor on it!

That looks great. What gaskill build was it? kuttnhack did an awesome faux motor too. I always dig yr builds.

jackdaw said:
That looks great. What gaskill build was it? kuttnhack did an awesome faux motor too. I always dig yr builds.

Thanks, brother. I took me a while to find the right Gaskill build. It was Jolene: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=40141&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gaskill

I've got two extra BB with chainrings that I'll be mounting in a "V" to make a faux motor. Like I said, I thought it was an original idea... then came upon that thread. Ugh. Anyhoo...

Today I welded up a longer fork, which will probably have more springer parts added to it later. Then I welded on the bottom bracket.
IMG_1165.jpg

Then I threw on wheels, the crank, and a chain, just to see how she looks so far.
IMG_1166.jpg

The build will continue!

You make it look so simple and easy. :x

Today, started working on the springer front end.
IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

Then I started welding a bracket to mount the seat. I'm using a real motorcycle solo seat that I bought at the most recent bike swap meet.
IMG_1171.jpg

Here she is as she sits now:
IMG_1172.jpg

I'll take the weekend off, then, the build will continue!

I've made a lot of small improvements on this build in the last week. I welded up some tabs and struts, making the seat mount much cleaner. I also finished a rough build of the springer, which is the second springer I've made, but the first one that's basically from scratch. I used all kinds of odd found parts to make it. It's still not sitting perfect, so more work to be done on it, but it does function.

I made a list of all the little details I'd like to do to this bike, and it's a long, long list, so this build will continue for the foreseeable future. I hope to paint it soon, so it's somewhat presentable, even though it's not near finished.
IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

Zumo said:
Awesome build.

I will second that.

Beautiful creativity and skills in play here. 8)

deven_science said:
My latest build has been in the planning stages in my drawing pad for quite some time, now. I decided it was time to go ahead, and try to make it a reality. like all my builds, I'm not sure it will end up exactly as planned (usually, my skill level causes it to fall a bit short of from what I intend), but sooner or later, you gotta try............
............. Sadly, I recently found an old Gaskill build that used almost the same method as I had in mind, but I'll go forward as planned, simply knowing that there are no true original ideas anymore, even if you think you've got one. :? ................

So true, I feel the same way when start a new build. Sometimes my builds are just a bunch of things I've seen all thrown together and I can't tell the difference between my ideas and others. Still it's all ..... you...... in the end. I love the whole concept you have on your build and how your ideas evolve as you build. You are a true artist and I will enjoy watching this build to it's completion. :D

Graylock

Thanks all for the positive comments. I have all the welding done on the frame, and it will get some paint soon. Here is the frame:
IMG_1232.jpg

What I did was welded the top two BB's on hinges, with hooks tacked on the BB's and the frame. I'll then run light springs from hook to hook, which will act as chain tensioners for the chain running around all three brackets.

The look I've settled on for this build postulates this: what if you had a 1910 motorcycle. Over the years, various owners continued to repair it with spit and bailing wire, what would it look like by, say, 1930? That's what I want it to look like. I want the paint to be scuffed and old, and I've got an idea for the handlebars that will look farm fresh and awesome, if it works out.

deven_science said:
After paint, using Dulpicolor auto spray paint. Going for something close to Indian motorcycle red
It looks awesome with the cream tires.

I bet it does :!: . I'm thinking of going red on my build, although it'll probably end up black :lol: . Your latest build's looking great so far, which spring set up are you going with for the front springer? I quite like the look of that small black spring perched on top of the larger red spring 8)

Will

I can't wait to see this thing running all that chain! nice work

That's crazy looking...I like it!! :mrgreen:

Started some assembly today, though i didn't end up getting much done. I did weld up the handlebars, though I'm not sure I like them. Going with the "many times repaired" idea, and taking a suggestion from jackdaw on another thread a lifetime ago, I welded up an antique drawknife as the handlebars.

It sucks to have welded on this hundred year old knife, and then to not be sure i like it!

what do you guys think?
IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

Don't worry, I dulled the blade on it!

WOW! That knife looks amazing! Absolutely perfect for the overall feel.

Back