Boardtrack Theory

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thought I'd bring this up for some lively discussion...

While the boardtrack look is really cool and most of us are fans of the style, does anyone actually find this positioning comfortable on a bicycle? I can understand how it would work on a motorized vehicle because you're legs are basically stationary and you are trying to become more aerodynamic during races, but this doesn't seem to apply as much on a bike.

When thinking about the positioning it would seem better if the BB and crank were positioned more towards the back of the bike if you were going to lean forward so far to reach the handlebars....but maybe not.

Anyone else ponder these things about boardtrack bikes?

I am going to sit back, watch this.........
stew.jpg

Gonna buck the trend here with my response by saying all my bikes (even the ones that aren't boardtrack style) are very comfortable to ride over long distances. The key to making the classic ballooner into a boartracker that is comfortable to ride is indeed the ergonomics. If you position the seat far enough back and get the bars to reach back and not angle too far down you can accomplish a rather upright riding positiona nd maintain the classic look. I am 6 ft, 225 LBS and the riding position is very important. My biggest challenge has actually been trying to find a comfortable saddle that doesn't give me a PIA after 2 miles. LOL! :roll: :shock:

Joe

don't know yet if i will like it or not, i haven't finnished mine yet. i know i don"t like drops on a road bike that much so hopfully i will like my b/t altho i do not plan on doing real long distance on it. i have other rides for that purpose. so ya this will be a good chat for all of us.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

I am not gonna let the cat out of the bag but all I have to do is to put my drawings into true form ( a welder is the biggest hold up right now) as far as positioning it will be comparable to a horse rearing up (also on a bike)...more to come in the future :idea: :wink: :idea:

So far my Pea Shooter and my Ratty racer both have decent riding positions. I am 5'7'' and the seating is far enough back that I can pedal in relative comfort. The Ratty racer seat could come back a little farther but, I'll get to that latter. Uncomfortable is my old BMX bike with its hard plastic seat and knees under your chin riding position. Strictly made for stand-up riding and jumping. Then there is my road bike where you end up with your but sore and your crotch asleep. If your pedal/shoe combo is out of alignment you end up with sore knees. I guess most bikes have their little problems. Come to think of it my hard-tail mountain bike is about the only bike I'm totally comfortable on.

I loved the look of 'VeraLynn' with the boardtrack look.....but I gotta ride! After about 40mi I had to change out the handlebars and put on a comfy saddle. I'll build another boardtracker-with a motor! :wink:
L8 EM

Rat Rod said:
Thought I'd bring this up for some lively discussion...

While the boardtrack look is really cool and most of us are fans of the style, does anyone actually find this positioning comfortable on a bicycle? I can understand how it would work on a motorized vehicle because you're legs are basically stationary and you are trying to become more aerodynamic during races, but this doesn't seem to apply as much on a bike.

When thinking about the positioning it would seem better if the BB and crank were positioned more towards the back of the bike if you were going to lean forward so far to reach the handlebars....but maybe not.

Anyone else ponder these things about boardtrack bikes?

Ahso, Honorable RatRodSon....
Steve, Gotta agree that the comfort factor ain't happenin' in the boardtrack look, however, the looks are the stuff!
I have yet to go that route, and the reason is the fact that I don't bend well in the middle... (Think pear... that IS a shape)
I posted a bike a while back and the first response I got was to drop the seat to the frame, and such. Let's see now..... knees pivoting that far up doesn't work for me (See pear shape above).

I want the thing to be able to ride it after I finish studying its' curves/lines/etc.

Comfort sometimes is a little less cool than looks... (Again.. see pear shape)

Oh, to be slim, trim, and in the swim... I'm not.
I'm a little more "sat", a bit more fat (phat?), and happy to be comfortable right where I'm at!

Anyway, I agree that the style is not so comfy... but it is definitely cool!
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

This one has a decent riding position, but I'd rather have the bars a little further forward. I'll probably end up putting a longer drop stem from a road bike on it.
koolmongous012.jpg

both mine that are boardtrack styled are very comfy to ride(about the same as my non dropbar bikes).......never had a problem with my back,arms,etc. getting sore but ive always slammed my seats anyway so its not really a change for me :wink: (and ive put alot of miles on them both!)

I do agree that the look is killer, no doubt about that. But I wouldn't consider building a boardtracker since just looking at one makes my family jewels go numb! As for slamming the seat down, I do so when taking pictures or when the bike is in a show. I figure pushing a 40 lb single gear bike is hard enough already that saving my knees and other things is a good compromise. Besides, the more comfortable it is, the more you ride it. That's my .02, how's the popcorn cman? :mrgreen:

I was wondering about this kind of thing myself, as I am trying to build up a bike with a sort of boardtracker style, with truss rods and flopped bars, but I was wondering if there are strict standards that you have adhere to for it to be called a boardtracker? It's obviously something more than flipping the bars and lowering the seat, right?

As far as the BB behind the seat, my bud that wanted this "Dragster" for his son who loves drag-motorcycles. They asked if I could put the pedals back more, but after some debate, I didn't think that would be easy to ride. With the pedals below, you push down, if they're behind the seat, you'd have to push back to pedal. It didn't seem natural to ride like that so this is the bike done...
021.jpg
they realy enjoy it and I'm glad but ya still gotta wonder how hard would it be to pedal behind? My current ride isn't real board tracker set up. but it is comfy :D
010-1.jpg
I think some carefull planing could get a board tracker that fits you good and looks sweet. I dream in 3D :!:

i would say yes and no. most guys that are around 5 8 and less seem to find my bike comfortable even if when they first look at them they think it wont be. but most over that hight feel cramped and would need to raise the seatpost. HOWEVER i do think that "boardtracker" style bikes with regular handlebars that are just fliped are horrably uncomfortable and personally find that when turning things get uncomfortable. thats why all mine use the riser MTB bars that are fliped or even on the ratty truck where the clip ons come out the sides and back just a little.
but yes i find them for the most part very comfortable and feel like i am ridding a race bike or i personally feel like i am ridding a harley being hunched over narrow bar and all. i tend to catch myself making engine sounds a lot.

Perhaps Hellbilly isnt a traditional style boardtracker, but I find it very comfy to ride. I am 6' and am not hunched over at all while riding. The bars are raised higher, I adjusted them till I found the sweet spot.I wouldnt see the point in having a bike that looked cool but hurt when it was ridden. Just my 2 cents :wink:
rrbofinalpics003.jpg

Mine is pretty comfortable! Its so dang fast that i dont have to be peddling all the time. Coasting and putting my shoes on the ground to slow down :roll:

012.jpg

very nice olds i have seen yours back fore and i like the laid back seat post of sorts. that setup makes these style bikes much more rideable. oh yea one more thing as for the lowered seat i think it is manditory at least for the style and one thing that makes them much easier to ride case in point would be the lucky 7 with the 7 speed internal hub.

Never built one before. It's the seat! When it's slammed so low and then "tilted" back, It scares me. I mean if you slip off the back of the seat, you turn a bag of nuts into peanut butter! Then there's the handle bars, Ive had problems with discs before, rotator cuff tears, also carpal tunnel. Lean to far forward and my back kills, can't rub it, because I can't feel my hands! I had a total knee replacement 2yrs. ago, so I adjust the seat so that my legs are fully extended when the pedals are all the way down. So seat and pedals go as high as I can get them.................So let's see discs,rotator cuff, carpal tunnel, knee replacement, thanks alot RATROD, I never realized I was half DEAD........... Oh yeah, I thank the Big Guy everyday, for modern day medicine (surgeons). Because if I were born 30yrs earlier, I'd be in a wheel chair by now (REALLY), instead, I GET TO BUILD BIKES!!! 8) :D

Latest posts

Back