TRADITIONAL BONINETeen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
Starting this ride out in the Traditional class and will move it over if modifications have to occur to Unlimited.

Picked up this trike for a great price last week. Gonna build it up for my wife who would like to ride on our Sunday rides, but with balance and things from things out of our control, she needs that extra balance to feel comfortable riding.
20240607_160728.jpg

Things she likes about it so far..
  1. The seat. She likes that big sissy attached seat. It will be on it at the end for sure.
  2. It's a Trike.
20240607_160715.jpg

She didn't care for the step through frame. Wants a cool cruiser frame to go with the three wheels. With apes to match. Also, some fatter and bigger tires. The last build I did for her had 26x4.8s on it. Not gonna go that fat, but the 24x1.5s are not gonna cut it.
20240607_161824.jpg

So, what I will use from here is probably the trike rear end and put a cantilever or double-bar frame up front. I have some 26x3s that I got in a trade a couple years ago that will fit the build well. Maybe a springer up front for an added cool factor. Will see where it takes us.

Last edited:
No rear brakes? The front brake looks pretty good.

With the 3 chain wheels up front, you could use a tensioner and front derailleur and have 3 speeds, but not with that frame. There's no spot for the derailleur. Your other frame might support that.

I always hunted for another gear when I've ridden those trikes.

First off, glad you're in for your 10th year reunion.
Second, LOVE the build name. I always thought BONINE was cool for BO9. BONINEteen is perfect.
Third, I really like her/your idea of mounting a cool cruiser frame to the trike rear.
Fourth, MO FATTA, MO BETTA
EDIT: Fifth, this build thread made me a Page 2 Slacker! :D Can't think of a better way to be bumped.

Last edited:
Cool. Another trike build. Good to see you in the mix.

Just a heads up. Keep the cruiser frame small. Boys frame make a trike a bear to mount/dismount.

Good to see you in on another BO, MC. Or is that BMOC? :grin: Welcome aboard!

We might need a separate sub group for trike builds this year!

No rear brakes? The front brake looks pretty good.

With the 3 chain wheels up front, you could use a tensioner and front derailleur and have 3 speeds, but not with that frame. There's no spot for the derailleur. Your other frame might support that.

I always hunted for another gear when I've ridden those trikes.
No rear brakes. Might not have front brakes when done. Was thinking of making al disc setup on the back.

The drivetrain has a lot to be desired. 3 gears, no derailer. the tension is set for the middle gear. Will either go single or figure out a better multi gear setup...

Cool project, glad you can join the fun!
Thanks Pondo! Glad to join.

First off, glad you're in for your 10th year reunion.
Second, LOVE the build name. I always thought BONINE was cool for BO9. BONINEteen is perfect.
Third, I really like her/your idea of mounting a cool cruiser frame to the trike rear.
Fourth, MO FATTA, MO BETTA
EDIT: Fifth, this build thread made me a Page 2 Slacker! :D Can't think of a better way to be bumped.
First, thanks a bunch Mr Palmer. It's great this site exists. My first read on the site was to rebuild a Komet Hub and have been hooked ever since. Im aleays Lurking if not participating actively.
Second, I had a hard time when I was first on the site figuring out what BONINE meant. Saw no one had picked up on it in the build list so grabbed the name. Thought it is fitting unless some better name comes along.
Third. Thanks. Seen it done on here before. So has the wife, she knows cool. 😎
Fourth: heheheh, FO SHO
Fifth: its the weekend. I am sure you won't sit there for long...

Cool. Another trike build. Good to see you in the mix.
I didn't realize there were so many. It seems that I'm keeping good company. Still have a lot of catching up todo on all of the cool builds.
Just a heads up. Keep the cruiser frame small. Boys frame make a trike a bear to mount/dismount.

Cool, Thanks for the advice. Was thinking of taking some plate and building a drop bracket for the end of the frame that gets chosen to lower dropouts at least 3 inches 🤔 . Just a bolt on to begin with.

Good to see you in on another BO, MC. Or is that BMOC? :grin: Welcome aboard!

We might need a separate sub group for trike builds this year!
Thank You @OddJob, making the time todo this one. Always a good time .

Sub group, or maybe a special three wheeled prize.

Another trike! Very cool start. Looking forward to year ideas!
Thank You Bart. Hopefully I have a good idea or two.

The first candidate frame is from 'That Blue Bike'. She pointed to that one in the stable last night and said what about that one.
20240608_065825.jpg

It's a fun bike to ride and one of my active steeds
20240608_070005.jpg

Will look a lot different as a trike. No front brake currently. Chain stays are curved , so a drop could look natural. Will mock it up and see how it looks.
20240608_070017.jpg

First up this morning, helping a friend by rebuilding the rear brakes on his truck. Will work on bikes and cart this afternoon.

I've been fighting getting the neck out that I put in as a pivot seat post way back in one of the early MBBOs. Not moving for at least 9 months now...
20240609_120025.jpg
20240609_120208.jpg

20240609_120213.jpg

20240609_120227.jpg

Ol Bessie, my short sledge that has busted a knuckle or two in the shop got it to budge today and I was able it work it out of the seat tube working it arond and out...

I love the mockup.
20240609_122444.jpg

My wife likes the size of the blue frame better. Gonna take the fork and bars here and mockup again...maybe a mix of both.

2 full links allowed the chain to fit again
20240610_142914.jpg

Found another neck. A bit rusted but fits those 1" apes perfectly. Like the last one did.
20240610_142910.jpg

Ordered some thompson 1" grips for tillers and snowblower and a couple chains today. Ordered the last set. (Thanks for having them @ifitsfreeitsforme )

Back