Bottom bracket frustration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dear readers
I'm an idiot
So i have an old bike with a cottered crankset. I wanted to lower the gearing a bit so I asked a few bike shops and they thought a standard threaded bb would work fine to replace the old one. I had a bike shop tap and face the bb and they had some bad news for me. Apparently the BB has oddball Swedish threading so its threaded non drive side on both cups and it's super rare. problem is I had to drill our my cotter pin to get the crank off and messed it up beyond recognition. So my old crankset is now shot. Do I have to go back to a cottered bb ( both cups are still useable I think) or do I have other options. has anyone ever heard of Swedish threaded bottom brackets. The guy at the bike shop mentioned "Phil Wood" but it would cost more than the bike is worth. is my dream of lowering the gearing over? did I totally render my bike useless by removing the old bb?
Help!
yours truly
Someone who futzed with something he had no business futzing with

The information that you need is here: http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
Sheldon Brown wrote quite a bit about it, but the moral of the story is that there are several uncommon sizes, and for many of those there isn't much replacement support. In some cases, such as upgrading an older Raleigh, or something like your bike (apparently), the only option may be to use a Phil Wood bottom bracket, which has retaining caps that are offered in a number or odd sizes. They are expensive, as you've noted, but top shelf.

There is one other option that you might consider, but I don't have any experience with it. Velo Orange offers a "threadless" bottom bracket for applications where you can't get something with the correct threading or if your treading is knackered. It isn't cheap either, but its about half the cost of the PW set up. I don't know how well it works, but any the VO stuff that I've bought over the years has been excellent quality.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... ckets.html

Hope this helps.

if you really like the bike and run out of affordable options...maybe have a good welder put in a "donor", modern BB?

Can you put it all back with a new cotterpin? If so, do that and add another rear sprocket with a couple more teeth to lower your ratio. Is the bike a one speed?

It is a 10 speed. I know I can get a new center pin at Bworks in St. Louis. They are awesome. But it will still be cottered but its better than nothing I guess. I hardly ever change the front chainring so a single could be an option if its geared right.
Thanks for your help. I love velo orange, I got my handlebars and reverse brakes there.

I'd say if the bike is worth 180-200 (axle+ arms+ sprocket=$$ :mrgreen: )to you, do the thread-less, vs old cotter pin crap w/weird threads. :|

If not :? , then don't. :p

I wonder why the shop didn't know about velo orange? It's kind of d-bag road bike shop but everyone has been nice so far. VO is big on heavy gear for touring and looking cool none of which are high on a road bike person's list.

Try a thread less BB, they will save ya a bunch of trouble.

threadless-tapered-bottom-bracket-cycling.jpg

I got one from my LBS and not over seas

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... om+bracket

Well, it's entirely possible that the guy you were dealing with was unaware that such a thing existed. Its been my experience that in a lot of bike shops, the staff are younger guys that only know about what directly interests them or their type of riding. its less common anymore that you'll talk to someone that's been there, done that and has a wide range of experience with this sort of thing.

I showed the VO link to the Bike Shop last night and I got a reply this morning:
Mark,
Looks like you have a good find there. We don't have any experience with that particular bb, but according to the company's website it appears to be a working solution that would get you the sealed bearings you desired. Good luck and let us know if we can help any further.
thanks,
jake, maplewood service

So I'm gonna pull the trigger with the VO bb as soon as I am sure of the spindle size of my new crankset which is a shimano FC-A413

It's never easy, is it?

My LBS charged me $36 bones, Amazon was at $20 each. Order several so your set for the next problem screwed up threads.

So the LBS wouldn't retread the messed up BB, took 2 bikes to Performance Bikes and for $5 they did both BB's for me.

My LBS charged me $36 bones, Amazon was at $20 each. Order several so your set for the next problem screwed up threads.

So the LBS wouldn't retread the messed up BB, took 2 bikes to Performance Bikes and for $5 they did both BB's for me.

mitchelangelo said:
if you really like the bike and run out of affordable options...maybe have a good welder put in a "donor", modern BB?
That would be my solution, but I can weld, it is not for everyone, especially if you get charged full work rates... :shock:

Luke.

bike2112 said:
If you can get the original cups back in, you may be able to use a square taper spindle and run an old style square taper 3pc crank. Should give you more crank options.
I may give this a try
I went to Bicycle works again today ( they are a great organization and their shop has tons of old parts) and found a couple of spindles to try. My cups are salvageable so maybe I'm not as sunk as I thought.

Which side is which on the spindle? One end is longer than the other.
Is the long end on the drive side or non drive side?

Latest posts

Back