Bottom bracket frustration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,
Next problem....if I have my non drive side cup out enough to put on the lock ring, there is play in the spindle. If I exclude it I can tighten it up enough so the spindle doesn't move side to side. My worry is this bike used an odd ball spindle too. And it's currently in a dumpster.
Still never easy.

Well dangit....Sheldon has the answer again.

"French bottom bracket cups usually have thinner walls than Japanese ones, so the bearing ridges on the spindles are farther apart. If you use a standard Japanese spindle, the adjustable cup won't be able to screw in far enough to snug up the bearings, or if it does, it will sink into the bottom bracket shell so that you won't be able to install the lockring."

Technically I have Swiss bb thread on a German bike but Motobecane used the Swiss threading so I'm guessing its the same situation

Ok...so Sheldon goes on to say 70mm shimano spindles should work on French/Swiss bb although they were made for Italian bb. There are plenty on eBay and I may be able to dig one up in the parts bin at b-works.

Latest posts

Back