Bought my first bike in 15 yrs! Project bike, Please help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run skinny 700 x 23 on "29er" rims! They are hard to bead and look silly, but it works! Much like mini trucks of the 80s, the sidewall gets pulled tight, no or little flex when turning! The bad here is rim overhang, and flat spots!
Also, I have run the opposites, skinny rim with big fat rubber.
That has disaster written all over it.
The tire should always be wider than the rim when inflated.
Good rule of thumb is to measure the inside rim width and multiply by 1.4 ; that will give you a minimum safe tire width to use.

As for running tires that are way wider than the rim... This seems to have become almost a gold standard anymore. I've been seeing a ton of bikes at stores that should be sporting 26x 1.25" - 1.75" tires that have 26x 1.95" - 2.25" tires. As long as the rim is strong enough (most double wall rims are) this should be fine but watch for the lip of the rim warping outward especially with high inflation tires.

That has disaster written all over it.
The tire should always be wider than the rim when inflated.
Good rule of thumb is to measure the inside rim width and multiply by 1.4 ; that will give you a minimum safe tire width to use.

As for running tires that are way wider than the rim... This seems to have become almost a gold standard anymore. I've been seeing a ton of bikes at stores that should be sporting 26x 1.25" - 1.75" tires that have 26x 1.95" - 2.25" tires. As long as the rim is strong enough (most double wall rims are) this should be fine but watch for the lip of the rim warping outward especially with high inflation tires.
I gotta see pics of these tires lol

I LIKE BIKES

Here is a 700 x 25 (1") rim with a 28 tire,
1406051670895_zps60885859.jpg

Previously I ran 700 x 23-but had far to many flats, and broken spokes...
When I was a kid we hardly had 1.5 rims, I ran 1.75 rims with 1.5 tires, alot!

Latest posts

Back