Boxkars "Select-A-Hub" Shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Boxkars Select-A-Shifter

I'll be picking up my 8-speed parts at the Electra warehouse this weekend and then need to find someone to do the rear wheel for me or give it a shot myself. Need to order shorter spokes. I want to get this done fairly quickly as I'm taking the bike on a camping trip next month.

Re: Boxkars Select-A-Shifter

It's going on my Basman. It's got a defective Nexus 3 speed on it now. Going to install the 8-speed Nexus with a roller brake. Already had bought a thumb shifter setup before getting this shifter.

By the way, the shifter is designed to fit standard automotive shift knobs so you can put just about anything on it. I can't wait to get it installed. Once I get the bracket next week, I'll mount it on the bike and take pictures.

I was able to install the shifter today after picking up the bracket from Jeff. It was pretty straightforward and works great. This is my first time installing a multi-speed hub from start to finish but I do have some cable management to do as I have a couple broken clips. I mounted the shifter to the down tube because I wanted it to be within easy reach and not sticking up over the top tube most of the time. I thought about mounting it to the center tube but then it would have been too low and between my knees while shifting.

In a couple of the pictures below you'll see the range of the shifter. 1st gear is straight up and 8th gear is almost horizontal. Looks like I'll be riding in 4-6 mostly. I'll have to take some better pictures over the weekend.

Also see this other overlapping discussion - http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67994

8speed_01.jpg

8speed_02.jpg

8speed_03.jpg

8speed_04.jpg

8speed_05.jpg

8speed_06.jpg

8speed_07.jpg

8speed_08.jpg

8speed_09.jpg

Back