Boy's were rough on their bikes...understatement. PICTURES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Had a guy call me last night about a couple old bikes he has.. Schwinns. Great, not many schwinns around here. So I asked for pictures.. First picture is a girls Schwinn Collegiate, nice shape. Second picture is a Schwinn Coppertone Racer. But the top bar is gone. I've always wanted a Schwinn Coppertone so I could get a paint code made from it. Probably the worst shape frame I've ever seen..
Went and picked them both up today for $30. Not a bad price, both are completely original.

Schwinn Collegiate- Nice paint, decals. 3-speed Sturmey Archer with Schwinn Tubular S-6's and a handlebar thumb shifter. Original Schwinn Tubular tires, chrome fenders, chrome should clean up nice. Schwinn S Seat. Hopefully I can clean it up and flip it quick.

7230828340_35a190a3ce_z.jpg

7230851656_2332dbc432_z.jpg

7230849584_8b16883167_z.jpg

7230830642_b46bb18426_z.jpg

7230847406_6e5dbe8c9d_z.jpg

Schwinn Racer- Luckily I have a replacement frame for this one.. its terrible. Paint is nice and should clean up well. Single Band Bendix Coaster hub with Schwinn Tubular S-5's. Nice schwinn S Seat, glitter grips, chrome should clean up nice. Frame is pretty much trash. Hopefully the paint is nice enough to get make new paint..

7230833414_5f4cf541c6_z.jpg

7230845300_cde1d3f838_z.jpg

Is there any way to clean the seat up?
7230843326_b7ee59d737_z.jpg

7230835250_877d7b8a0f_z.jpg

What's the story behind this decal? I've seen them before..
7230839168_d821757a0c_z.jpg

Headtube end
7230841102_d99f8cc201_z.jpg

The other end is jagged like it was torn off
7230837348_143a5dd0b7_z.jpg

I'll upload pictures tonight

Re: Boy's were rough on their bikes...understatement

I would assume the top bar would have to be removed deliberately. There's no way a top tube on an electro-forged schwinn just pops off from rough use. :lol:

I thought that maybe they cut it off in an effort to make a girls bike.. but when I got there it looks like topbar was torn off. Weird

Maybe it was rescued from a scrapyard after the yard crane got it.

dragnusa said:
If thats a sticker and not a water slide on the coppertone Id remove it and try to get the color match from there less chance of sun fade there

Alright thanks I'll try that. I was thinking that maybe there would be some nice paint on the fork inside the headtube..

arpicker said:
dragnusa said:
If thats a sticker and not a water slide on the coppertone Id remove it and try to get the color match from there less chance of sun fade there

Alright thanks I'll try that. I was thinking that maybe there would be some nice paint on the fork inside the headtube..

Another place is on the bottom bracket behind the chain ring or the inside of the fork legs.

The hat in ring decal was the emblem for a WW1 US fighter squadron. Google Eddie Rickenbacker. Gary

B607 said:
The hat in ring decal was the emblem for a WW1 US fighter squadron. Google Eddie Rickenbacker. Gary
apparently from what I can find the decal was mostly used on deluxe Racers & Collegiates. B607 is correct about the fighter sqaudron but no one is totally sure its connection to the schwinn family and why they used it.Theres alot of stories and theories about certain family members and the squadron but not much documented.

That's a great score...
As far as cleaning up the seat... don't worry about it...
I'd be happy to take it as is....
Seriously, if you end up parting that Coppertone out I'd be interested...
If not Enjoy....

Latest posts

Back