Brake studs crooked

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am looking a Sun Atlas Cargo bike (similar to the Surly Big dummy). It a used frame and the back brake studs are tilting to one side a few degrees, one more than the other. They don't look bent but they were welded on crooked. Both are tilted to the leftside of the frame. The left stud is tilted extra. The tilt is away from the rim on the left and towards the rim on the right. Unfortunately no picture. I am good at setting up brakes but I have never encountered this. I would be installing XT VBrakes. Can they adjust to deal with this problem?

Used to be fairly common for otherwise straight mid-grade road bikes to have the fork brake mounting hole out of alignment. Common practice was to twist the caliper arms slightly using either a hokey "brake alignment tool" :? , or for those with a brain :wink: , a handy-dandy one-size-fits-all Crescent wrench. :idea:

I guess I should have been more specific. The threaded brake pads on v brakes are adjustable by the use of little dished spacers. Even most with the soild post are adjustable for pad position. Personally I like the kind that pull from the side with the noodle thingy. They work a lot better. Mabe those are called u brakes or is that a bmx thing? Anyway I picked up several sets with pads for eight bucks on ebay. Only a bit more than pads themselves. Personally I would not try to fix such a thing. They are probably crooked as you say because they were welded on crooked and they probably didn't care too much because pads are now adjustable.

Thanks for the input. I bought the frame and will mounting V-brake/linear pull brakes for now. I can always upgrade to disc too. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back