Brakes--how & what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just brought this home and have taken it apart:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=51611

I think I'm going to restore the bike and use the trike kit on a 26" mountain bike on a custom build for my dad. The trike only had a front brake. The pedals could be pedalled backwards since the bike used to be a multi speed and had rim brakes at one time. So here are my questions:

1. How can I add a rear brake to the axle?
2. Can I use a large/heavy duty coaster brake on this?
3. I may use the 18speed gearing off the mountain bike. What are my brake options with that?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

The only way I could see using a coaster brake would involve welding. Trikes that have a coaster have two separate axles (kind of). One axle has both wheels, one of which is a rear wheel with coaster brake hub/sprocket. The other shorter (basically a jackshaft) axle connects the drive sprocket to another sprocket which is connected by a short length of chain to the wheel. It will likely be easier to add handbrakes with very long cables. My trike has a handbrake, although it is a drum brake in the rear. My trike kit has the setup for coaster brake, but I have had a hard time finding chrome coaster brake 24" wheels. So I used a drum brake set.

I was kinda thinking the same. My delimma is I don't like to have brake cables showing unless I have to.

I wonder if I flipped the one wheel around so the arm faces the rear and is attached to something if it will still work okay. I guess I would need to change the axle sprocket to a fixed one and not one that spins free all the time.

There have been some threads here where people have used rear wheels on the front of the bike and connected a cable that when pulled, turns the sprocket slightly in reverse to engage the brake. It would still involve a cable. Maybe you could run the cable through the frame of the bike also. If I understand correctly, the rear wheels are fixed to the axle, and the axle drive sprocket freewheels. I'll have to go look at the thread again.

Latest posts

Back