Brass Monkey (new-old bars)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Brass Monkey (patina time!!!)

Did I say "salt and vinegar"? Silly me, I meant chewing gum. Yeah, that's it, you chew a lot of gum and smear that all over your frame. :mrgreen:

Man that is a sweet ride! Nice job on keepin it old and cool. And nice tinknockin on the tank!

the real question is are you honest when you tell them? either way cool bike interesting idea to fake patina the parts if anything it has a look all its own. nice work :D

Well since I don't make it a habit of lying I do tell them that I believe it is an 80's model frame with older parts added on.

i get the same thing with the lucky 7. and it is even newer 1998. but i think that is part of the fun blowing people's minds when you tell them that it is not what they think it is.

just wanted to say this is one of (if not) the best "applied patina" jobs Ive seen :shock:

Can't be the Brass Monkey without real "apes"!

002-1.jpg

Man these pictures stink. Finished pics will be lots better, promise!

003-3.jpg

Now I need some help. The black grips, or back to the white?

That's better but I'm admitidely an ape man. Post a pic with the white grips.

Red grips?

Awesome! I think I'll be stealing your flipped fork idea. It gives it a better look for sure. I'm a new guy with a '60 or so JC Higgins with the springer fork and Rick directed me to your build. That brass hand formed tank is sick too! Lovin' the bike tons!
hechtrod

Thanks I really appreciate the compliments......but I can't take credit for flippin the springer, I saw somebody else on here do it with theirs......can't remember who, but I think it was in the first Build Off maybe?

Thought I might rig up a bell set-up. Got a piece of 3/8 rodstock.

001-5.jpg

After a few minutes of heating in the forge and hammering, followed by some twisting action:

003-4.jpg

The components.....the knob is bronze, i dug it outta a box of bronze scrap (p.s. bronze is around $5.50 a POUND now!!!) I lightly steel wooled it to get the crusties off, and cut a flange off.

002-2.jpg

And assembled:

004-1.jpg

I've been ridin around with it on the bike like that for a couple o days, it def needs some modifications!

Re: Brass Monkey (update 7-23)

ej599 said:
Boneshaker said:
ej599 said:
That bike your building looks great! Let's see them welds though, see what you got!

Oxy-acetylene, ARC, MiG, or tig???? :p
Well I really just wanted to see the weld on your fender but seein' how you asked! How about a little aluminum GTAW? I was doing some today and it never fails that I have to do aluminum (throws ALOT of heat) on the hot days.

Dear Mr. ej599,
I decided I would try some of your "GTAW" (Great and Totally Awesome Welding). I thought I would share the welds I made on a toolbox I am making, since they were longer than half an inch like those found on the fender bracket in question. This is about as good as my "GTAW" gets.....well it is since it's been a couple of months since I did some real "GTAW". This was done with a big ol' fat mig welder with some of that nifty argon gas. Once I get back in practice maybe my "GTAW" will really be Great again. Anyway here are some pics:
005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

As you can see they haven't been wire brushed or otherwise cleaned. That's because a few minutes later I ground them all off! My toolbox looks just splendid, I feel it will adequately fulfill its duty of carrying my knifemaking tools. Well that's about all I have to say on this particular subject, so until our next correspondence, good luck with your "GTAW".
Sincerely,
:mrgreen: BonEsHakeR :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back