Broken Chain Blues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Is there any reason not to buy a new chain from a big box store? I'm sure there are better ones out there but should I be concerned with that for a casual cruiser?

Went out for a ride with my kids yesterday but had to hobble back home sans one chain!

My son served as a tow-bike for most of the flat and then toward the end gravity propelled me in. That part was a little unnerving considering that it's a fairly steep hill and with no chain comes NO BRAKES! :shock: :roll:

100_4745_zps10c8c015.jpg

Jim

After last summer losing the chain on my '56 JC Higgins back in the farmlands of Lancaster, PA, I won't go riding without a chain, chain tool, and/or master link. I walked a lot of the way as 3 foot tall ape hangers don't lend the bike to becoming a scooter, but down hill was fun... till I also remembered that I only had a coaster brake.

For future reference, you can attach the old chain to the rear cog with some wire, rope, or shoelaces, or just use the wire, rope, or shoelaces to make a brake "handle" for the hills.

I had my chain break coming down a large hill once. I just stuck my feet down Fred Flintstone style. :mrgreen:

Or if you dont' have fenders, just stick your foot on the front tire behind the fork.

cman said:
I had my chain break coming down a large hill once. I just stuck my feet down Fred Flintstone style. :mrgreen:

Or if you dont' have fenders, just stick your foot on the front tire behind the fork.

Brake shoes. :lol:

That's a drag losing your chain so far from home
I have a tendency to buy SRAM PC1 nickel plated chains from my LBS
They look great, designed for single speed drivetrains and at ~$15, cheap insurance
Not sure about big box chain quality...

Chain or not, those are some nice looking bikes

I don't buy chains from the big box stores any more because the last time I did it wasn't long enough for the bike. I wasn't running any odd ball gearing either, it was a 20" BMX bike with the typical 44/16 and was more than a couple links too short.

MplsCoaster said:
That's a drag losing your chain so far from home
I have a tendency to buy SRAM PC1 nickel plated chains from my LBS
They look great, designed for single speed drivetrains and at ~$15, cheap insurance
Not sure about big box chain quality...

Chain or not, those are some nice looking bikes

That's probably a good idea at that price. I checked at Wall to Wall-Mart today and the Bell brand that they had looked pretty cheap made and cost about $9. Plus I try to support the LBS when I can.

Thanks for the props, that's my top three in the stable!

pjbjr413 said:
I don't buy chains from the big box stores any more because the last time I did it wasn't long enough for the bike. I wasn't running any odd ball gearing either, it was a 20" BMX bike with the typical 44/16 and was more than a couple links too short.

Yea, I couldn't even find the length any where on the box!

Lugisland said:
I usually run chrome KMC Z chains from the LBS on all of my builds. I think they run about $12. Never had a problem. :D

+1. KMC z410's go on almost all my bikes, except those with derailers. I've run some KMC k710s when I'm feeling flashy, but the z410 comes in a bunch of colors, plus ish brown, and plain ol' silver or black.

Same here, KMC Nickel plated looks best in my opinion and they are good reliable stuff for not much $, with that said there's nothing wrong with a Bell bike chain either, I think I just like going to the lbs and picking out a chain rather than getting the only bike chain in the store at Wally World or similar.

For my personal bikes I run Kink HD chains out of an N.O.S. stash I had, looked on their site and see none listed?
KMC chains are really good.
For my next bike I am going to look into the BMX stuff again as I am supposed to get some modern cranks with a tiny sprocket.
I can feel the Bell chains stretch. They only got so much before breakage.
Glad you had a tow, running bikes drew wind!
Thankfully no full body skid stoppies.

SSG said:
Lately I've used a lot of garage door chain, you can get it in long sections, cut it down and use it on a bunch of bikes.

I use that on cruisers too, garage door opener chain is Heavy Duty! (I install new openers so I have tons of chain from old units)

pjbjr413 said:

My experience too, plus for normal coaster brake chains my LBS was only a dollar higher and it fit right out of the box.

I've had good luck with Wipperman, but some models are of the sort where you're not supposed to reuse pins, and the outer links can be damaged if you try.

Plus, they're a bit $pendy for me, considering some of the competition.

Well I took everyones advice that suggested the KMC z410. Got the plain brown metal finish from the LBS for less than $12.

Now I have a new issue. When I cut it I had to choose between a half link too short or too long. My old chain was the same way but I thought that it was just old and stretched. So I cut it on the long side and it has a pretty good sag but it works. We rode about 6 or so miles today without a problem.

I've seen half links but have never used one. Anyone got advice on that?

The Renaissance Man said:
Well I took everyones advice that suggested the KMC z410. Got the plain brown metal finish from the LBS for less than $12.

Now I have a new issue. When I cut it I had to choose between a half link too short or too long. My old chain was the same way but I thought that it was just old and stretched. So I cut it on the long side and it has a pretty good sag but it works. We rode about 6 or so miles today without a problem.

I've seen half links but have never used one. Anyone got advice on that?

Never used one either but for a couple of dollars I would try it.

Back