Broken Gooseneck Bolt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched the archives for an answer to my question. I only came up with one hit, but that had no answer. I'm hoping I can get an answer this time.
I'm working on a 1968 Schwinn 26" girls bike. Attempted to remove the handlebar gooseneck bolt and it snapped off. It's been soaking in penetrant, but I'm thinking the wedge is still connected to the neck by the remaining bolt threads. There's only a very small hole in the fork underside (for the fender screw). I can't get it from that end.
Am I in trouble here or does anyone know of a way to get the neck out?

You could try putting a section of steel rod or another bolt longer than the broken one in the top hole and then drive the wedge down with a hammer to break it free from the stem.

I would be tempted to drill the fender screw hole bigger, enough to get a piece of rod in there and drive it up and out, you could repair the screw hole after with some JB weld or similar...

Luke.

I would be tempted to drill the fender screw hole bigger, enough to get a piece of rod in there and drive it up and out, you could repair the screw hole after with some JB weld or similar...

Luke.

Can't do it that way. The wedge has to be driven down first, to free the stem. Driving it up from the bottom will just make things tighter, unless the stem is removed. There's also a good chance you'll damage/deform the steerer tube.

Can't do it that way. The wedge has to be driven down first, to free the stem. Driving it up from the bottom will just make things tighter, unless the stem is removed. There's also a good chance you'll damage/deform the steerer tube.
Oops, I read it that the stem was removed but the wedge was stuck...
Yeah, don't do what I said!

Luke.

OK... it looks like the ONLY the wedge is threaded?
If that is in fact the case, then I'll continue to soak it in penetrant and attempt to drive the wedge away from the stem and hopefully work that stem loose.
I'll try and find a rod or a long punch slightly smaller in diameter than the bolt.
Thanks guys for your advice.

Latest posts

Back