Brother-In-Law's 1992(?) Specialized Rockhopper Sport

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has commissioned me to get it back on the road. Apparently, he has a lot of sentimental value for it. It's kinda rough, but I figure I can get it riding like new and looking pretty nice for $200 in new parts.

IMG_4509.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4512.jpg
    IMG_4512.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4513.jpg
    IMG_4513.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 33
They are solid bikes with tons of potential. In what direction are you planning to take it?
Nothing crazy. Tires, tubes, seat, pedals, grips, cables, clean/lube. The usual stuff for an old, worn out bike. Bro-in law is an old fart like me, and says he's had this rig since his college days...so I'm thinking he won't want to repaint it. I'm recommending the Kenda City Slick Mountain tire rather than knobbies, as he ain't gonna be doing any rad trail stuff. Other than that, I'm thinking keeping it as it is.

That looks a lot like the 87 Nishiki I redid for my Brother in law last year. I kept it as he remembered it with the same bars, seat and everything that could be used for a lot of riding. I re-laced the original Araya rims and Suntour hub with stainless spokes. They were rusty, yours look good as is. He wanted it repainted yellow as it wasn't the original paint.
A lot of the old parts cleaned up well and are better than new replacements. It's good for another 30 years of riding. The tires are knobby but not that much.
I would bet the blue paint on yours will shine up and could take a couple coats of car paste wax and look very good. Then it can be ridden as much as before and then passed down to the next generation.

before.JPG

finished.JPG

Latest posts

Back