BSA Goldie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching for a BSA frame for awhile and found one cheap from a member here. It was just the frame and fork and headset. It's going to have a black and gold theme as BSA had their Goldstar bike. Since I don't have enough dough for a real Goldstar I'll build a fixie version of it. lol. I was expecting the frame to be really tall but it's perfect as I have a slight height disadvantage at 5'5''. lol. It's nice because it doesn't have mounts or tabs on the frame whatsoever so it's really clean and uncluttered. I was thinking about repainting it but I'm just going to leave the way it is for the time being and see if it grows on me. It's tipped in at just a little over 4 lbs for just the frame and tops just a little over 5 with the fork so it's not too piggish. Here's what I started out with. It's still a work in projects as I just slapped some stuff on it from some other bikes I robbed parts off of.
If anyone knows how to tell the build date for BSA's(Raleigh) chime in if you could.
118_0791.jpg

118_0794.jpg

I recovered this seat just for kicks and giggles. My wife had an old fake Coach silk scarf she was going to toss out and nabbed it. The seat wasn't anything special as it was on a 70's AMF canti 3spd bike I bought for a buck and sold the frame here a few months and had it sitting around. Springs still need to be cleaned up but it's not too bad. lol
100_1085.jpg

119_0838.jpg

The seat post is just a old Schwinn unit from my daughter's beater Collegiate. It was a bit too small so I found a top tube from a Surburban I hacked up that was just a hair too big. So I ground off the paint, cut a slit into for it to compress and it worked like a charm. I had to weld a few spots on top so it wouldn't slide into the seat tube. It's just a bandaid till I find the right seat post.
119_0840.jpg

The wheels are from my Origin8 Cutler I just bought. It'll have the same style wheels deep V rims but with gold flipflop hubs and black rims instead. They went right on with no problems as I thought I'd have to grind the dropout a bit but didn't have to. The wheels I'll have to order as my LBS is closed for the month.
So here is how she stands so far
119_0836.jpg

119_0835.jpg

The bars are just temporary and will either get some gold bullhorns or drop bars. I may use them in the girls build I have going. The stem is definitely going to go also as it's way too short. I was thinking of finding a carbon 1" threadless fork and ditching the stock unit and shaving a few lbs and gaining some eye candy.
Finally the cranks I'm unsure about. I was thinking of going with the original units to have the cool BSA sprocket but I want something newer so we'll see what pops up. I did see a nice Shimano crankset with the right bottom bracket for cheap locally I may pickup. I know it's not too ratrod'ish and kinda trend'ish now but I'm just expanding my arsenal of bikes and wanted a fixie.

I've made a few old black english frames look very good with just a scrubbing with soap and water (easy on the decals) then waxing with car wax about 5 times. Especially on the black bikes, the original paint really comes out well.

I love what you are doing to that bike, i think id do something similar to that. do you have the original chainring? i cant wait to see how this one comes out. id love to find a bsa bicycle for myself some day, that would make 2 bsa's in the garage.

d11c8ad3.jpg

Got my wheels, bars and tires in today! Now just for white handlebar tape, gold chain, cog and two lock rings. One for the cog and the other for my bottom bracket. I scored the cranks off of CL for $40 and the pedals for $2. The pedals aren't staying though. But for two bucks I couldn't pass them up. The wheels are Eightinch Tessa's and Eightinch 40cm bullhorns. Now I can put the other wheels back onto my Origin8 single speed.
I'm still debating on painting it. It would stay black but it would look like this with the white section
NickZukauskas-1.jpg

and gold bands where the red ones are.
BSA decals like these on the downtube
44-00031.gif

and these on the seat tube
44-00034.gif

Cranks will be painted black also and have gold chainring bolts.

on with my crummy pictures. I don't know why my pictures are so fuzzy.
119_0862.jpg

119_0864.jpg

119_0865.jpg

She's almost done! It should be done with parts next month and most likely paint and not rattle canned.

Well she's pretty much done. She's running a threadless headset now and a Icon carbon fiber fork, Cardiff leather saddle, and gold accents here and there. It just has some cheapo plastic pedals with molded toe clips on for the time being until I buy some spd shoes for my Crank Bros Eggbeater pedals I have.
121_0022.jpg

121_0027.jpg

121_0025.jpg

not fixie quick throw together 3spd coaster project. I scored this in a bulk buy of three other bikes for $40. All pretty much the same style. I just tossed on my drop bars and my Coach seat.
70's Sears. Just needs some better tires and new cables and to modify the light for LED's.
121_0032.jpg

121_0033.jpg

121_0034.jpg

121_0031.jpg

The black bike is starting to look suspiciously like a hipster fixie bike.

Your not one of them hipsters, are ya?

We dont take kindly to those types 'round here...

lobsterboyx said:
I love what you are doing to that bike, i think id do something similar to that. do you have the original chainring? i cant wait to see how this one comes out. id love to find a bsa bicycle for myself some day, that would make 2 bsa's in the garage.

d11c8ad3.jpg

GORGEOUS! Nice inverted forks!

Back