Budget rat "The Boot Legger"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outskirtscustoms said:
Got working on the taillight today, Bet you can't guess where the housing came from...... :mrgreen:
P8100057.jpg

I'm gonna say from one of the trash cans in the background. :lol: Or maybe an old flashlight if it's not made from a tin can. :?:

Got an itch to work on the bike so I decided to give the crank that "Vintage Skip-tooth" look. Hello bench grinder!
P8190071.jpg

P8190073.jpg

My workspace
P8190074.jpg

P8190075.jpg

My tire hanger in use
P8190082.jpg

DONE!
P8190076.jpg

Now to get it on the bike and ride!
P8190078.jpg

P8190079.jpg

Even had some time to work on mockup on my mongoose project!It will sit a bit higher I still have to put the braces on it.
P8190080.jpg

P8190081.jpg

stretch said:
please dont cut up that looptail goose. :shock: whats the serial # on it?
And this from a guy who has cut up.......how many bikes now ???
I'm not going to cut it up, everything I plan to do is completely reversible. It has been welded on the bottom loop, drilled to run wire through the frame, and re-sprayed before I got it so the value is out the window anyway. Serial is M3-K4509. So if my Mongoose expertise is right it means:

M3-K4509 Manera, Japan plant/1983/ November (making it a 1984 model)/ 4509 Build number. I know it's a Californian. Also the bike could have been made at any time as they stamped the BB shell and had boxes of them in the storage locker and did not always follow the numbers. :wink:

Thanks man, it was pretty easy to do, just set up the bench grinder and went to work. and it rides great with the stock chain. I really don't even notice a difference in riding it. Had 3 people standing around it scratching their heads at the store when I parked it. One asked me what kind of bike it was. I replied a Huffy, he asked where I got it, I said Walmart.......Even more confused he said you don't look that old.........Then I told his about what I did to the bike.

I guess I pulled off the look........lol. :wink:

outskirtscustoms said:
haha yeahh, very true. but i try to stick to schwinns, they made millions of em so i dont worry. but i dont exactly care. i say you do it cuz thatd be sweet, and funny if anyone that loved BMX saw it. :lol:

oh and that would be.. 18 in the past year, give or take. :D

stretch said:
outskirtscustoms said:
haha yeahh, very true. but i try to stick to schwinns, they made millions of em so i dont worry. but i dont exactly care. i say you do it cuz thatd be sweet, and funny if anyone that loved BMX saw it. :lol:

oh and that would be.. 18 in the past year, give or take. :D

Yeah, besides I figure the frame was pretty well ruined before I got it anyway. I think it'll be cool as a board tracker / low rider / rat bike.
Mainly it's the only 20" frame I had to work with.

Well it's been way too long since I did something to the "Bootlegger" and with Halloween just around the corner there is all kinds of cool stuff out there for re-purposing. So I figured I'd do something cool to my daily rider. I have seen suicide shifters on a lot of bikes here and I love the look. Mine is not functional yet but here's what I came up with. You want a suicide shift I'll give ya TWO!
TWIN STICK SUICIDE SHIFT
P9020035.jpg

P9020036.jpg

P9020037.jpg

And I added another skull on the back for good measure. thinking of putting two red LED's for the eyes and making it my taillight.
P9020034.jpg

Markm said:
Cool!!
Dollar store bag O skulls???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yep, dollar store bag o skulls, they are hallow but if you cut them just right they stick on there tight enough to hold. I'm going to eventually fill them with foam or epoxy or something to make them solid. then the stick is actually just a cut off from an old set of golf clubs a neighbor threw out beaten over a trimmed down 10 speed shifter handle.

Doing it on the cheap.... 8) :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
then the stick is actually just a cut off from an old set of golf clubs a neighbor threw out beaten over a trimmed down 10 speed shifter handle.

Thats a great use for golf clubs. The golf clubs I got are defective, they seldom hit a golfball where I wanted it to go. But, now I see they can have a good use as bike parts , thanks .

yeah I don't golf I just found them thrown out and took my pipe cutter over and got a few lengths of nice chrome stock.

Back