Build #1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...ok, not quite number 1 but the first in many years. I've been lurking on here for a long time whilst looking for a decent donor bike, being in the UK means they're not so easy to come by. Eventually, out of desperation, I decided to just work on anything to have a project to play with...my neighbour gave me this free:

AmDonorSml.jpg

An interesting feature was the mis-matched cantis :?

AmCantis.jpg

I had some old LXs kicking about in a box of bits, decided to refresh them with a bit of paint...

AmLXs.jpg

Never painted a wheel before but I went to a vintage road-bike show with a bit of an auction, MTB stuff wasn't shifting at all so I got a spare wheel for £1, figured I'd give it a go! I'm going to pick up a colour matched touch-up brush for the spokes.

So, here's a mock-up of progress so far:

AmWIP1.jpg

The plan is vaguely to keep it all satin black and cream (which is actually Ford Ivory white) with a few bits of old chrome. I want a commuter/shopper/urban bike to save having to use my MTB so it's going to be on semi-slicks, quite fat, probably white-walls and some kind of rack and panniers. Not sure about gearing yet, I really fancy simplifying it but I live in the Pennines (the ridge of hills down the centre of the UK) and the last stretch to my house is about 1:3!

Had these kicking about from a bike I had as a kid. The little torch thing I made in an LED workshop, it's incredibly bright but I think it should be easy to use for an LED conversion, just need to find a nice way of stashing the batteries.

LightsBefore.jpg

that color looks for all the world to be just normal white, until you try to touch it up with a normal white. i had a pickup truck with that color on it once. :wink:

Cheers :D I certainly hope so! It is hard to avoid the diamond-frames over here, just got another free donor, also diamond frame (and full of millions of baby spiders) but much nicer than this supermarket special. Stripping it for parts then saving the frame 'til I'm ready to try my hand at welding. All good fun!

Been looking at tires: I reckon I could squeeze a 2.35" 'Crazy Bob' from Schwalbe on the back and I fancy a skinny whitewall on the front...or skinny both ends...or 'Bob both ends... :?

Quick update, this project is trudging along slowly due to:
a) First one; no stored parts.
b) English weather reverted back to its usual self!
c) The 'Standard colour' paint I chose has been discontinued :lol:

Anyway, a few bit's of progress, you'll have to imagine the big chrome fenders and funky lights for now! I slumped for buying new 'cruiser' bars, they were reduced to a tenner from ChainReaction, flipped them. Bought tyres too; Crazy Bob and Tom Slick.

Tyres1.jpg

Rear3quarter.jpg

Bars1.jpg

TyreClear.jpg

Thanks man, ...and thanks for 12 month bump lol, saves me doing it today when...I finally went for a ride on it! :shock:
Test ride ended up being 12 miles (and very muddy of course, this being Yorkshire).
Decided to set this up as a single speed, very pleased with that decision today, forgot the buzz of just cruising on a SS.
These things are never finished but there are some obvious things to do; better saddle, lose the blue seat bolt...
Down the line I fancy a funkier fork and nicer chainring (at least) but at least it's finally rideable.

FirstRide.jpg

FirstRide1.jpg

FirstRide2.jpg

Cheers! Yeah, happy with the overall scheme, now it's ridable I can just tweak it as and when.
Absolutely hate the look of the chainset but I'm having to work very much on the cheap. The saddle is also a nasty plastic thing which needs replacing, the fork's tolerable just a bit normal looking!
Having said all that, it did feel great to get out and ride it.

Back