build/bike #2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo-4.jpg

unknown year or model raleigh

so i have had this frame longer then the one I just finished which you can view in the picture forum.
I was going to go for the same color scheme but now that i have a bike finished with that color having two the same color/scheme isn't what i want right now.
The original paint job was peeling bad so i sanded the whole thing down and did one coat of primer with hardener in it and 2 coats of satin black.
I am thinking about stripping it and doing dark gray or chocolate brown either satin or gloss i cant decide.
Considering making it into a fixed gear because it is going to have skinny tires on it and i want this for my distance/traveling bike.
any suggestions? I'm open to anything.
i am thinking about carving grips for whatever handlebars i put on it, out of wood.
also might order 140 spoke rims.

oh and the ape hangers are coming off.

Distance traveling can be done with single speed bikes, but fixed gear would be the worst possible choice. They have their uses, but that's not one of them. If you really want to do serious distance, gears are the best method. Heavy extra-spoke wheels are cool, but also not great for distance, not just the unnecessary weight, but complicated to straighten in case of wreck.

I agree with deorman.
You definitely don't want fixed gear for long distance riding. I can't imagine riding for hours never being able to coast. Also as far as I know the 144 spoke wheels only come with a coaster brake rear hub.
How about a 3 speed internal hub. If you go with handbrakes a non coaster brake 3 speed should be easy to come by.
It would be a shame to see your paint work go to waste. You could just lace up some different colored wheels and keep the satin black but if you're using handbrakes than you don't want painted rims.

maybe i should of been more clear, i'm new too all of this. my grandma lives about 4 miles away down the erie canal the path is flat the whole way with no hills so i was planning on using it too ride and go see her. but I see your points about distance etc.
i do actually have a extra 3 speed hub laying around that i could use.

photo-6.jpg

took it all apart last night and put stripper on it gonna go finish scraping the paint off later tonight.

the only thing i had problems with is one of the pedals i could not get off.
photo-5.jpg

That pin is in there really well and I didn't want to hammer on it and mess it up and suggestions how to take the rest of it off?
the other one slid off because there was no pin in it.
photo-7.jpg

thread the nut on barely. Then hammer on it.

They make a tool or you could also try a clamp.

I'm in my early 50's, and I ride about 5 miles each way, with a couple of hills, to take care of my parents yard on the weekends on a 1-spd coaster bike, so you can certainly start with what you've got. 3-spd's are awesome for the type of ride you're talking about, you could easily find your self taking longer and longer rides once you get a few trips in. Some of them actually have a coaster brake, but it's a good idea to run a front brake as well, sometimes they don't work right if your cable goes out of adjustment. Hopefully your frame has a mounting hole for the brake, probably so on a Raleigh. If not, there are a couple of builds posted on here about adding a bracket, so drilling or welding are not necessary. I've used the hammer on the nut method before, but you can damage the pin that way, and not every bike shop carries them any more. You can also put a socket on the side it comes out of, and press it out with a clamp, which is pretty much how the tool works.

The chain wheel came off of the bike it is a Raleigh I found in the attic in my bosses barn.
Not sure of the year. Yes I actually have the front break for this and I am planning on using it.
Thanks for the info on getting the pin out I will definetley use that tonight.

Back