Building A Better Rat'l Trap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined this BB a few weeks back and have looked things over here at our internet home. Wow , it gets overwheling as there are sooooo many variations of the Rat Bike . Let's take that term , I associate it with my other hobby of Rat Rods. Either way it's taking somthing you have on hand and making it better. Good tires , brakes and mechanicals with either a primered or as is faded , rusty frame. Oh yeah , of course the red wheels or whatever paint you have on hand.

OK , with that said I have a few questions for the veterans of this outfit.

1. I see some of the bikes are cut and lengthened by a matter of 4-6 inches . What is the advantage of this modification ? Is there a functional advantage or is it strictly cosmetic. I admit they do look like the've been modified but it's so subtle that it's hard to fiqure out whats happened unless you know. I'm kind of into that look.

2. I see a lot of mountain bikes converted to rat bikes but the multi gears are eliminated, suspensions are gone and on some, one would never know it was even a mountain bike. Is it sacrilage to run gears on a rat bike ? I can see the suspension getting canned for the old time look. The addition of springer front ends look trick as well.

3. This is the clincher question. Do most people build these to ride or just for show and exhibition type rides etc ? Some, especially chopper type bikes look so uncomfortable to even try to peddle that I started thinking that maybe these bikes are just coversation pieces. Please tell me I'm wrong as I'm building a rat bike now and making it better mechanically but have reservations about painting it .

My bike is an old Shwinn form the 50's , maybe 60's that I had converted to a mountain bike when the Klunker Bike article was ran in mariah Magazine back in 1977 / 78 or there abouts. It's fitted with 21 speeds, has front and rear drum brakes from a tamdem bike, a springer front end, sulky wheels with heavy duty spokes and all the up to snuff antiquated stuff used then to make a mountain bike from scratch. There wasn't any mountain bikes on the market at that time. Had'ta make do.

My plan was to change the gearing to single speed / coaster brake but found that the rear tail of the frame was widened to make room for the tandem hub. So, I'm keeping the multi speed set up and drum brakes. I'm swapping out the front wheel for a standard front wheel. The seat has to go for a bigger seat so as to fit my physical seat if ya know what'a mean ! Gotta have the big basket of the handlebars too. Always liked them and what a neat way to haul your junk around.

I hope everyone will offer their input on my build and maybe give me that subtle idea that will trick this bike out. I plan to use it on our local " paved " bike paths and ride in the pits at the drags etc., no off roading.

Regards,
GoneGonzo

Post a pic of it please!

From the description I think I'd keep it just like it is and find another bike to rat out. Those old klunkers are super cool!

Let me see if I can take a shot at answering these. :D

1. The stretching of the frames can serve two purposes. One being the look factor and the other could be to move the BB out further in front for a more comfortable feet forward geometry.

2. Not sacrilege to run suspensions on a Rat Rod Bike, but sort of detracts from that vintage cool hot rod look. We've had people pull it off though.

3. I think the goal is for the bikes to be rideable . Some folks prefer look over comfort. Another thing to consider is a lot of us set up the bikes for photos and then adjust them for riding. Kind of like someone driving around a car with Air Bags. Drop it low for the photo shoot and raise it up for cruisin'. I personally only build something if I can ride it and it's comfortable.

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

100_5013.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Yep...this one was actually pretty comfortable. :wink:
DSC_0089.jpg

3. This is the clincher question. Do most people build these to ride or just for show and exhibition type rides etc ? Some, especially chopper type bikes look so uncomfortable to even try to peddle that I started thinking that maybe these bikes are just coversation pieces. Please tell me I'm wrong as I'm building a rat bike now and making it better mechanically but have reservations about painting it .

OK. who's choppers are you refering to? One one of the things people butcher for the sake of appearance is headtube geometry/trail. I mentioned trail at a bike meet one time and people looked at me like I was insane. :) Knowing how to set this up can make a chopper fairly easy to ride, even above the dreaded 40 deg headtube threshold.

I can't do the slammed seat thing either, my knee's are just too old. I stretched a frame so I could have the low seat and some knee extension.

Multi- speeds are OK, some of these guys here have some unique shifter set-ups(me too!). It's all about presentation.

It's a real mixed bag about painting or not painting. some rust just looks better than others.

There's a lot more variety appearing on this site and that's a good thing. I built a 50's looking 3spd English racer for the Buildoff. I can ride it about 6 miles and then I'm done, fat belly just doesn't work with drop bars any more. :) Ridability isn't always a high priority for every bike you'll put together, and that's OK. Especially when you have a large stable.

I'm up to 17 right now.

Rat Rod

Nice ride with the first black and white bike.

Is it a stock frame or stretched ?

The whole thing is out together " right on " .

By the way , I see your a brothetr in Christ too.

regards,
Gonzo

GoneGonzo said:
1. I see some of the bikes are cut and lengthened by a matter of 4-6 inches . What is the advantage of this modification ? Is there a functional advantage or is it strictly cosmetic. I admit they do look like the've been modified but it's so subtle that it's hard to fiqure out whats happened unless you know. I'm kind of into that look.

as far as i'm concerned i think rat rods look best with the seat slammed to the frame (making the bike look sleeker). stretching the frame often allows you to keep the seat low without eating your knee caps.

GoneGonzo said:
2. I see a lot of mountain bikes converted to rat bikes but the multi gears are eliminated, suspensions are gone and on some, one would never know it was even a mountain bike. Is it sacrilage to run gears on a rat bike ? I can see the suspension getting canned for the old time look. The addition of springer front ends look trick as well.
sacrilage? heck no. many old muscle bikes have 3to 5 speed gears,
orange_krate.jpg

springer front ends,
IMG_1683.jpg

etc, ya even see a couple with full suspension.
nothings cooler than a stick shift on a rat rod. :) my burrito runs an old 3 speed internal hub (gears in the hub) and a home made stick shift.
IMG_1493.jpg

GoneGonzo said:

building trailer queens is fround upon. :) i would say as a general rule of thumb, if ya cant ride it, it was a waste of time. :)
GoneGonzo said:
My bike is an old Shwinn form the 50's , maybe 60's that I had converted to a mountain bike when the Klunker Bike article was ran in mariah Magazine back in 1977 / 78 or there abouts. It's fitted with 21 speeds, has front and rear drum brakes from a tamdem bike, a springer front end, sulky wheels with heavy duty spokes and all the up to snuff antiquated stuff used then to make a mountain bike from scratch. There wasn't any mountain bikes on the market at that time. Had'ta make do.

My plan was to change the gearing to single speed / coaster brake but found that the rear tail of the frame was widened to make room for the tandem hub. So, I'm keeping the multi speed set up and drum brakes. I'm swapping out the front wheel for a standard front wheel. The seat has to go for a bigger seat so as to fit my physical seat if ya know what'a mean ! Gotta have the big basket of the handlebars too. Always liked them and what a neat way to haul your junk around.

I hope everyone will offer their input on my build and maybe give me that subtle idea that will trick this bike out. I plan to use it on our local " paved " bike paths and ride in the pits at the drags etc., no off roading.

Regards,
GoneGonzo

sounds like your on the right track, looking forward to seeing the build.

i'd love to see a pic of that bike in it's current klunker state. if you do indeed decide to transform it from it's klunker status, please let me know. i'd be interested in buying the old klunker stuff from you.

theres lots of bikes with gearing to be found here(even i have a 2 speed) i do slam all my seats no matter what(yes for that look) but they stay that way even when theyre ridden alot...stretching i personally dont do just because im not a big fan of cutting up old bikes(thats what the chinese ones are for in my $.01) but it helps to have a prewar(or laid back if you will)seat post to move you further back over the tire and have the b.b. in front of you a bit more.
id be pretty safe in saying that about 99.9% of the bikes here are ridden and hard for that matter :mrgreen:

A loose set of rules covering most of rad rodding bikes.

Cheap is good.
If you don't know, ask. Somebody is bound to know. Or at least know where to look.
Do whatever looks good to you
Ride the piss out of it

That sucker is already a Rat Rod. Just give it a light cleaning, lube and tune it up and ride the heck out of it and start on Rat #2!
I kinda like the look of the flat straps in place of the front tubes on the springer. i might have to steal that idea.

Oh, man, that's definitely already as cool as it ever needs to be! Please, don't mess with that bike and its history. People are copying that style left and right these days, and that one is real deal. I'd keep that as it sits and build up a new one from something else. But hey, if you're not into the klunker any more, I'd gladly take it off your hands... :mrgreen:

Johnny,

I would consider a sale of the bike if the price was right. Make me an offer.

I've desided to build on another bike after the responces I've gotten on this one. It does have history.

Gonzo

I try to to keep my bikes rideable but a Burrito Bike is essentially a recumbent so it can be a bit tough to ride without a backrest, but a backrest would look stupid. Tallbikes are very rideable, the only pain in the butt being dismounting at stop signs/lights, or finding something to balance against. As far as a small stretch goes Stingrays have a 17" top tube length and a modern BMX is around 21", so the stretch can make them fit an adult better. Old cruisers have an 18" top tube where a modern MTB is usually around 23" so once again it's more about making the bike fit an adult. When doing a chopper fork a little vertical stretch can keep the bb at a normal height and keep you from having to go too shallow with the rake, and maintain good front end geometry (trail). A lot of Rat Rod Bikes have gears and have a hand shifter located under the seat, or on the top tube like a Stingray_Krate. Most people here are working with with they have on hand or find for free/next to nothing, which is why you see a lot of cheapo MTBs.

Custom bikes are usually some sort of compromise between what looks cool and what works.

All my bikes are for sale, if the price is right. I consider them "art" and so they would be priced accordingly.

Latest posts

Back