"Building a welding JIG first" - design process and thoughts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electra Ratrod jig tryout: HERE WE GOOO!

1000032202.jpg

1000032216.jpg

1000032217.jpg

The jig is very sturdy!

I will lengthen the bike about 18 centimetres.

Positioning the jig is still temporary. I plan to hang it on a tilting frame on the wall or hang it on the ceiling of the shed, so I can work around it.

I ordered tubing for the 'lengthening' of the Electra Ratrod bike.

@Captain Awesome should I create another topic for the build of the Electra bike? Or just document it here, since it is a learning project?

I also made drawings for the rollers.
Since manufacturers have pricing for 'roller sets' I thought I am being smart by combining two smaller tube diameters :grin: it also helps with changing: I have to change less times for alternating tube diameters.

1000032285.jpg

1000032286.jpg

The tubes have an offset: I learned that by looking at the original rollers. This way the tubes will not get stuck in the rollers. But the rollers do not give the tubing space to bend in undesireable ways....

Material of choice: Toolsteel.

I ordered tubing for the 'lengthening' of the Electra Ratrod bike.

@Captain Awesome should I create another topic for the build of the Electra bike? Or just document it here, since it is a learning project?

I also made drawings for the rollers.
Since manufacturers have pricing for 'roller sets' I thought I am being smart by combining two smaller tube diameters :grin: it also helps with changing: I have to change less times for alternating tube diameters.

View attachment 278301
View attachment 278302
The tubes have an offset: I learned that by looking at the original rollers. This way the tubes will not get stuck in the rollers. But the rollers do not give the tubing space to bend in undesireable ways....

Material of choice: Toolsteel.
Your choice

I’m following along either way

Latest posts

Back