built for speed(ster)..done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i got this '63 speedster from fellow member jaba13 last week. thanx, man.
of course built for speed is a STRAY CATS song, but it's also a song by MOTORHEAD!!!
i picked up a cheap bike from the local junk guy just for a fork. than i rummaged thru my parts bin and came up w/ a quick mock up. my original plan was to make it a single speed freewheel w/ just a rear brake, but the more i look at it i think it'll look cleaner w/o a brake lever/cable/caliper. i will loose the chaingaurd. i may or may not use these bars, and i seriously dought i'll use that saddle.
whatcha think?
000_0004-3.jpg

000_0006-4.jpg

000_0009-3.jpg

Re: built for speed(ster)

this wont be a klunker or cruiser.
this will be a simple,sleek,slick,seriously stripped, super sick, stealthy suburban street sweeper.
sound silly?

good use of alliteration :lol: that is a seriously cool looking frame for a road(ish) bike, I'm so sick of double diamonds... should be sweet when you build it up!

beatcad said:
this wont be a klunker or cruiser.
this will be a simple,sleek,slick,seriously stripped, super sick, stealthy suburban street sweeper.
sound silly?

sounds deadly :p

Hooch, I'd do a super good cleanup job on it and leave it as is , but thats just me.What's up with the tubes ? Has someone wrapped them with handlebar tape? If you take it off sell me the rack. Thanks 8)

Hooch , Now I see. Too late , the deed's been done . What I thought was a rack was the truss rods. :(

so, i've been thinkin' about this for a week or 2 now. it was always in the back of my mind what i wanted to do, but i dawned on me today what i want to build.
i want to build it somewhere between my boardtrack style bike and my fixie.
IMG_1363.jpg

000_0002-3.jpg

i want it to be classic racing cool and maintainence free simple, but something i can whip thru traffic with.
i love to ride both of these bikes. but i already have them.
i want to build this as a bone dependable(as if the others aint :roll: )user friendly commuter bike.
tires not as thin as the fixed, not as fat as the boardtrack.
narrow handlebar to split lanes(cut between cars).

it's all in my pea-brain rite now. i think it'll turn out cool.

I really like your fixie :shock: I am sure you wont mind shipping it to me so I can safely store it for you in the Dragster Museum of awesomeness, world renown for storing other peoples possessions since the burning of the library of Alexandria! :mrgreen:

I picked up a speedster yesterday, I'm about to embark a build similar to what you're going for. A fast bike with some real style...

i just got back on this build. i've been workin' on a motor-sickle lately.
here's a teaser sneek peek.
got some cheapo pedels and popped off the reflectors and cut the ends off.
000_0003.jpg

i splurged and had the frame powdercoated. he (the powdercoat guy) also cut off the front chaingaurd mount and the kick stand mount.
000_0019-1.jpg

head badge
000_0010.jpg

i'm waiting for wheels still. hopefully i'll have some more pix soon.

Nice GM tubs. I have some CHEP crates that I designed my garage shelving around.

All black headbadge will be nice an subtle.

well, it looked like snow today,so i went to the bike shop last nite to pick up tires, tubes, and bar wrap, so i'd have something to work on today. i finished up this bike and i want to take it for a spin, but there's a foot and 1/2 of snow outside.
sorry about the poor pix. when the weather breaks i'll get better ones.

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

What's that sprocket? That's kinda snazzy looking. I like the overall look of the bike. I'm thinking of going down the same road with my Columbia canti frame.

Back