Bulldog

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
1687324062851.png

I'm starting a build tomorrow. It'll be small but stout, like a Bulldog.

I cleaned the frame and gave it another layer of clear coat.
21 Jun 23 frame.jpg

Then I laid out parts I need to put it together tomorrow.

21 Jun 23 parts.jpg

This will be a small low maintenance bike I can throw on the bike carrier at a moment's notice that won't hang out in the crazy traffic here.

I got a lot done this morning before the heat drove me back into the AC. The springer was heavy as were the apes, and I wanted something easy to ride and compact, so it got a 26" mtb fork and bmx bars. The 26" fork gives the pedals enough clearance and the bars give enough riding room to ride comfortably, while being small. it's a 16" frame so the seat is high enough too. The chain wheel is a 39 with a 16 cog, low geared but good if I want to do a little off road.
22 Jun 23 work2.jpg

The spindle had a slight warp, so I ordered up a couple of sealed BBs. 2 of them for less than 5 bucks? They go for about 15 bucks each in the states.
The frame is 18", not 16". That's the same height as a lot of the cruiser frames. That's why it fits me.

23 Jun 23 18 inch frame.jpg

I found a 20" alloy wheel in my parts. I might match it up with a new wheel and tires and keep it lightweight.

The Bulldog is on hold until I finish my build off bike, about a month at most. I would like to match this black rim, but might get a new set of rims. I have enough spokes and hubs.

23 Jun 23 rims.jpg

I have two matching rear hubs that will work well.
My 20" spokes were short, made for deep v rims at 181mm, so I ordered up some 195mm spokes and single wall alloy rims, all on the cheap. 144 spokes, enough for 4 wheels were just over 5 bucks total. I got some new grips also. The rims are about 8 bucks for a pair of them and should show up in a day or two.

25 Jun 23 parts.jpg

While waiting for the welder there's plenty of time to work on this bike. The two BBs arrived and are good, for 5 bucks!
26 Jun 23 bb.jpg

That took care of the chainwheel spacing nicely, it's just right now.
26 Jun 23 clearance.jpg

I changed out the BMX bars and stem for a lighter stem and bars with about the same rise.
26 Jun 23 cw.jpg

I spent the afternoon lacing up the new wheels. 4 cross on smaller rims takes a little longer.
I decided to go with a 7 speed cluster instead of a one speed freewheel. A new set of 1.75 tires are on their way. I'm also going to fit disc brakes, I have a complete set to use with adapters.
27 Jun 23 wheels.jpg

The wheels get trued up on Saturday, but the new tires showed up so I mocked it up. I mainly wanted to check the pedal clearance. The 1.75 tires are smaller than the 2.125 I had on there before. It looks okay. I have blue cables and a blue seat on the way also.

29 Jun 23 blue tires.jpg

I looked for my disc brake adapters and found this box full of band brakes.
01 Jul 23 brakes2.jpg

So I'll use them instead of having to fab up something to make disc brakes work. Most of my parts have already shown up and I get the wheels trued and new inner tubes tomorrow.

01 Jul 23 brakes.jpg

I used another fork that was wider to fit the front hub. It still needs the top trimmed about an inch. Brakes work good and the gears will get hooked up tomorrow. I have just enough blue cable housing left. The chain works ok but seems worn, so I'll get a new one. I can't do anymore today as our cleaning person comes every other Sunday. I have to clean up the shop to let it get a good field day today.

02 Jul 23 build.jpg

My dad sailed on the Columbus in World War II, and part of how I learned to read was by his copy of The Blue Jackets Manual 1944.

I knew all about knots, flag protocol and small boat handling 40 years before I ever owned a boat. Same with small arms.

I never served, but in the 80’s I had a good collection of those dungarees. ;)

I used another fork that was wider to fit the front hub. It still needs the top trimmed about an inch. Brakes work good and the gears will get hooked up tomorrow. I have just enough blue cable housing left. The chain works ok but seems worn, so I'll get a new one. I can't do anymore today as our cleaning person comes every other Sunday. I have to clean up the shop to let it get a good field day today.

View attachment 239135
Such a cool little bike. I need a ride like this

Back