busted up headset (help)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Newb here havin' a problem. I am trying to take apart a crusty/rusty '65 Schwinn. Well, I managed to break the stem bolt off. Now I can't seem to get the front end of my bike apart. Wd-40 just ain't doin' the job. How can I get the "wedge" popped so I can get the stem out? Any advise or tips are greatly appreciated.

if you broke the head of the bolt off, smack the rest of it down into the stem with a punch, that should knock the wedgie loose. : :)

Thanks for the fast reply scumblero. I got a punch that would fit in the hole and was about a half inch longer than the sheered off bolt. I also found my man hammer and gave that punch a few taps. I'm pretty sure the wedge is popped now. The stem still won't move. So I should try to beat it back and forth and try to pull it out?

:p now the stems rusted in... soak the crap outa it with PB blaster or whatever you got overnight, and try to get it to turn, even just a degree or two so you can wiggle some juice down into it.

if it wont you may have to put the heat to it.. :roll:

do you have a heat gun? heck a hair dryer might work.. you just need to get it hot enough to get a little capillary action going with the spray... which will get all flame-throwery if its too hot..

if that doesn't work, then you start burning stuff up... :roll:

Stuck stem... remember the three "L"

Leverage
Lubrication
and Luck :lol:

Seriously, soak that sucker in PB blaster or WD-40, also helps to invert the frame and spray the lube down thru the fender attachment hole.

Chuck the forks in a sturdy vise and commence to twisting the stem with a large steel bar. if that dont work, invert the whole thing and chuck the stem in the vise and try torking on the forks.

and if that dont work, break out the sawzall and cut that stem off.

don't spend more than a replacement fork on trips to the hardware store..... :D schwinn forks are common enough on ebay- you may even find the same color. :wink:

Latest posts

Back