Cable holder fab tool.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65' hercules with the S.A. S-5 has lotsa cables. 3 running down the top tube. I couldn't locate multiple cable holders so I built this mini press to make some.

It's 2 pieces, male and female. The female piece has a 5/16' dia groove bored in it the male has 3/16" rod tacked across it. I drilled out two 1/4" rod couplings and welded them to the Male side. I then welded two on the F side, threads intact.

P1011559.jpg

Here I put a piece of 16 ga alum 1/2" wide in. Tighten the 2 bolts.

P1011560.jpg

Presto!

P1011562.jpg

Installed. I may go 3/8".

P1011563.jpg

pretty handy !!! i think 3/8s would look about right too

would using different metal work too, i know some of the retainers are kind of their own clamp (no screws), would aluminum hold tight enough without the screw ?

I'm not sure, alum is soft and isn't very springy. I figured it would form easier also. I may try the unperforated section of a long radiator S.S. hose clamp.

Pretty slick ! 8) I've been known to use the 5 cent solution myself. You can buy plastic coated colored paper clips at any office supply store. Simply bend them into an S shape, and use them to cinch cables together. You can then use a regular single cable clamp to hold one to the frame, your home made S clip secures the rest to the single frame clamp.
I'll shoot a pic at lunch.
Rick

Latest posts

Back