Cadillac

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
Thanks for the offer but i`m in the UK so shipping would be expensive,

I think the grey ones you have are originally made for wheelchair use, :shock:

Cheers
Adrian

Walker said:
The rack is pretty crusty, might send it out with some other stuff to at least get it sand blasted and primed after I bend it back into shape. As far as I know I wont be installing it on this project bike though.
Know what you mean about the rack, Walker. I have this one, and I want to keep it because it's not very common, but it's hanging up in my garage waiting for just the right project.
MonarkButterflyer004.jpg

Since everything is powdercoated I think I'll drill and tap a hole for a small hex bolt.

Nice rack with the retention springs on it. mine is just plain. Kids must have used their belt or something for hauling?

Looks like the reflector tab has two through bolts but the reflector is riveted to the tab. This could be a good way to save old glass jewel reflectors with broken mounting studs....

DSCN0001.jpg

Anyone got a shiny one of these chainrings?? This one is low mileage but too crusty for a Cadillac :!:

DSCN0002.jpg

Zero progress last night, watched Hot Tub Time Macine instead......

Tires tomorrow according to Fed Ex......waiting........waiting.....waiting

I got the fender braces painted up last night, flat black, not too exciting. Need to hit up the hardware store for some small rivets to re-attach the braces to the mounting tabs. I'll use shiny hardware at the fender.

Found some 3M reflective orange sticker material that might end up as racing stripes on the fenders.

Black spokes coming in the mail later this week. I'll feel like I'm making some headway when i can pop the wheels into the frame.

Super sweet Torrington pedals should arrive any day now along with some shiny skiptooth sprockets!

Did some sketches last night for the forebrake cable linkage. The lever I want to use will not pull enough cable to actuate the hub so some kind of linkage is in order.

WHOA! That was close, Almost slid down to page #2, glad i have an update...

My Torrington pedals arrived and I'm pretty happy with them..
DSCN0176.jpg

Shiny skiptooth chainring arrived
DSCN0177.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot find bottom bracket cups or locknut to fit these cranks? Came off a Hawthorne i believe.
DSCN0181.jpg

I think the lock nut for the chainring is from newer bmx bike or something, definitely not vintage, Anyone got any ideas? I've tried all my loose bb parts, might start pulling apart some complete cranks soon.

Ready to start lacing some wheels and while the hubs are apart, modify the front cog into a brake arm and grind off some teeth from the rear cog for skiptooth compatiblity.

Picked up some rivets for the fender braces. Might work on those tonight..

Riveted the fender braces back together and attached to the fenders. No drama at all. Everything went right back together. didn't drop anything or scratch the paint (sometimes I even amaze myself)

And, I did some digging and found the rest of the bottom bracket set so now the cranks are in and man do they spin nice and true.

DSCN0190-1.jpg

Rear braces

DSCN0192.jpg

Front braces

Cranks installed
DSCN0191.jpg

Laced up a wheel with black spokes....didn't like it (Too HD looking (no offense intended to HD riders)). Hopefully I've got some silver in stock...

Looking good! You´re on the right track.
Colour combo is great and you´ve got nice parts, pretty neat my friend :wink:

Wheels are laced. Found a source on ebay for new ss spokes, $22.00 for 75. Cant beat that.

DSCN0718.jpg

The cold weather is upon me, tomato plants are shriveling up just like the riding season.

Fenders, especially the front one are not sitting right, so that will take more work.

I found the scrap brake arm from the front ND hub. Going to try and make that into some kind of pivot arm for the forebrake set up.

Still undecided on how to actuate the front hub. I've got that reverse brake lever that would be cool to use but until I do some math I'm not sure it will have the travel i need.

6 months and I finally get back into this project. I finished the Rollfaster yesterday and delivered it so now the workstand is finally freed up for this rig. Hoping to have it ridable by Monson..

I've been dreading re-working the fender braces for fear of messing them up. The front went pretty well despite my reservations.

Drilled out all the rivets and measured twice. Extended the flat area at the tip of the braces with a bench grinder and drilled new holes.

fenderrods1.jpg

Test fitted and cut off the excess.

xx001.jpg

Put it all back together for a look see. The fender is sitting much more parllel to the tire now.

xx002.jpg

xx003.jpg

xx004.jpg

Only got as far as disassembly on the rear wheel. I'm going to need to do some trimming at the bottom bracket and make up some spacers. to hold the fender lower down on the tire

xx005.jpg

This shot kind of gives you an idea of how far I need to go.

fenderrods2.jpg

Back