Can anybody tell me what year this was made?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 24 inch boys hawthorne snow flake shaped skip tooth drive scout long spring saddle ball end coke bottle grips and steel clad wood wheels the serial number is on the bb in two lines rear facing drop outs with adjusting screws pics posted tomorrow until then any guesses on age?

Re: 19?? hawthorne flyer

Well thanks to the rain we have had all day off and on coupled with having to work and lack of sleep, I have not been able to get any shots of the bike. Sorry guys if I let you down there but I did get the serial number off the bottom and it is M 2392 and on the second line 3u3u. I also looked at the head badge closer and noticed it says Flyer on the bottom of it .

Re: 19?? hawthorne flyer-long awaited pictures coming very soon

Here they are, let me know what you think!
Right side

Head badge

Left side

Detail shots here
Seat and clamp on 7 post

Seat stamped "Scout"

Seat post binding

Skip tooth chainring snowflake?

Rear dropouts detail
Adjusting screws are threaded in frame NOT a seperate nut
Also seen is the New Departure brake arm
And flat fender brace mounts

Fenders are a squared off peak
It appears as though the raised portion was painted creme?
Also seen is the round tubular top fender mount

I love these handle bars and have already found a new set of grips for them

The tires say for 26" wheel but the frame sits like a 24"er

Tires were Gillette Ambassadors

So take a look and tell me what ya think

Re: 19?? hawthorne flyer-long awaited pictures are here

Nice bike! I found a D.P. Harris gold medal 26". All wood wheels. The frame is small, like a 24", But the tires say "Aristocrat 26". Seems to be the equivelant of a 26x1.75 or so (tire and tube in one). Also has a New Departure model A (very ornate script). I'm curious of what year it might be. Didn't know they made 26" wood(or medal clad) wheels. Nice looking bike though. Looks to be all there, miuus the rear stand. Only thing mine is missing are the fenders and the seat.
Johnny

Re: 19?? hawthorne flyer-long awaited pictures are here

Oh, forgot to mention, mine has brased on truss rods and the seat post clamp is set up the same way. It also has the double bar(motorbike) style frame.
Johnny

Cool little guy you have there, thats pre 35 from that badge. What type of new departure rear hub is on it? If its c its going to be pretty early. I know what you mean though, this forum is getting kinda dry. Ive posted multiple things up with little to no response. I guess everyone is dazzled by all the mountain bikes and new electras coming through :roll:

LarzBahrs said:
I know what you mean though, this forum is getting kinda dry. Ive posted multiple things up with little to no response.

Pre-1933 bikes or any bike with 28" wheels don't do a whole lot for me. Find one with big fat tires and a tank and watch the responses. Gary

B607 said:
LarzBahrs said:
I know what you mean though, this forum is getting kinda dry. Ive posted multiple things up with little to no response.

Pre-1933 bikes or any bike with 28" wheels don't do a whole lot for me. Find one with big fat tires and a tank and watch the responses. Gary

Im totally the opposite. I drool over these old wonders because most of the time they wouldnt have even survived the scrap runs. Fat tires and tanks are alright but 28in wheels and tanks are a yes.

Nickinator said:
It has to be early in the 30s because it doesn't have clad or wood rims so maybe around 33-34
And its a boys bike not a mans bike

I said in the original post its a boys bike and it DOES have clad wheels. The frame is the size of a 24 but the wheels are 26.

Back