can anyone id this rim?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I need to replace the wheels on my 1950's1960"s boat trailer. the rims are badly rusted at the valve stem. The trailer is from the 50's or 60's for an inboard ski boat. can anyone id the manufacturer of the rim or point me in the right direction?? the tire size is 7 x 15 LT

Probably a Chevy or Ford 6 lug pattern. Measure from one lug nut to the one across from it and go to a junkyard and ask if they have some rims that fit that pattern. Shouldn't be too expensive. Might take the hub off the trailer if you can and bring it with you to be sure they will fit.
How to measure lug pattern
lug-patterns.gif

the bolt measurement looks to be 5-5/8" center to center and the hub is 3-9/16"

I found a rim finder website, the closest decimal equivalent they offered was 5.6 or 5.9, no vehicles listed for either.

I noticed tonight the other rim has a different shape, might be a 50's dodge rim.

My work truck is a chevy with 6 lugs but the hub on the trailer is way bigger diameter than my 92 CK2500's so I cant really test fit. There's a local boneyard that has some ancient relics in the back, I guess I should pull the junk rim and haul it down there.

pjbjr413 said:
It appears to a Chevy or GMC rim, Ford, Dodge, and International all used 5 lug wheels on their half ton trucks back in the day

Yep however International DID make a 6 lug on the 3/4 ton trucks (1200 series and up) but it was much bigger and had split rims which I learned to hate with a passion after one let go from rust doing 50MPH down 213 and throwing it into a deep ditch...Still got a scar on my chin under the goatee from the steel dashboard.... It didn't hurt the truck just knocked out a headlight.

Here's what they look like for reference the red part comes off to remove the tire but after almost 40 years of rust they don't hold so good.

1967-international-1200b.jpg

Looks alot like the wheels on my 31(I'll try to dig out the wheels I haven't blasted yet and get a picture) I think they first went to that same style wheel in a 15" in the 50's, if I recall correctly.Mine are 16X4 with a 6X 5.5" pattern(Mine are from a 51 truck and a 39 master. The 6 bolt patter should still be the same today)If it is 6 X 5.5" that would be Chevy. If not, I'd wager a guess at Ford.
Hope that helps some.

Back