Can anyone on here add threads to my Monark headtube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the know how or patience to fool around with this. I'm trying to make a ladies Monark springer fork fit my schwinn frame. The headtube is to long, and the easiest fix seems to be to add threads to the tube, and cut off the excess. Is anyone on here interested in helping me out? Am more than willing to pay you for your work! Just really want this fork to work with my build.

Have you tride a local bike shop. you would have better luck at a more "vintage" shop as 1" threaded forks have been out of popularity for a while.

Option "B" is to cut the steerer tube down to length, add an internal sleeve to make it extra strong. if you did the prep a weld shop could knock it out in no time.

I have the tool but the shipping :shock: :shock:

Yeah, I have a 1-24 die as well but by the time you ship it x2 and give a few bucks for time, you may as well buy one. Hozan made the one that I got for like 35$ shipped. It was just the die but I've just been using it in a vice with no problem. Though, I just looked and I'm not seeing that particular die for sale alone anymore..

I bought a triple tree fork from my LBS and thought that the threaded section wasn't going to be long enough for my short head tube and they said they could cut them for me if needed. I didn't end up needing to but it was nice to know they could.

Let your fingers do the walking; hit up all the bike shops within a reasonable distance and start asking. You might even check out local machine shops (surprising what a machine shop can have), but dont let them talk you into leaving it there and get billed for a min. 1/2hr or whatever just to spin it down a few threads (yikes, at $100/hr. !!!) Stop in a lunch time and chat about 'IF' they have a die that even fits. One of the guys might be cool with you and the project (I used to work in a shop and 'did' stuff like that from time to time).

My local bike co-op has the set up for this,maybe you have a co-op near you.It would be cheap and you can do it yourself.

Back